11 years ago
instead they have an associates degree in biology only
Read 423 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Yes, but you can't get into medical school - all medical schools require biology degrees, because the upper-level courses are the ones that have the in-depth information you'll have to learn to prove you can do the work required of being a doctor.

If you really want to be a doctor, I strongly suggest finding a local public college and enrolling in a bachelor degree program in biology, chemistry, or psychology.
wrote...
11 years ago
Yes

You should take it before you get your bachelors to avoid delay in enrolling in medical school.  ( I took mine my Junior year)

Some medical schools will have early entry programs where you can start before you get an undergraduate degree but that makes it even harder to get in.  Not all medical schools need a science or psychology degree (my anatomy lab partner had an accounting degree), but it would definitely help having taken science classes before medical school.

Most colleges/universities have pre-medical school advisers who could help you out.
wrote...
11 years ago
You can take the test, but you'll need a bachelor's degree for any medical school to even consider you for acceptance.

Here is the MCAT official site:
http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/start.htm

Your bachelor's degree does not have to be in biology - it can be in absolutely anything.  Most medical schools are going to want you to have taken chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, and biology courses, and some will insist on calculus, English and biochem.

There's a lot of great information here:
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/medicine/education-faq/part1/section-2.html

Good luck.
wrote...
11 years ago
Most people take it before completion of the degree. If you haven't taken three years' worth of courses, though, you won't score well, and you won't have the requirements for medical school admission, so it would be pointless.
wrote...
11 years ago
generally you take the MCAT's the spring before you graduate with your bachelor's degree.

you can take the MCAT's now, but you cant get into med school without completing an undergraduate bachelor's degree program.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1246 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352