× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
tonyeye tonyeye
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
From sky divers having a terminal velocity of 200km/h, we should be able to determine their drag coefficient since we know their density to be roughly the same as water and the air density they are moving through. So, once we have the drag coefficient should we not be able to determine their terminal velocity through salt water? Can somebody calculate this for me or point me to a link that has the answer?
Sorry, I did not mean for this to look like a trick question. I meant the same question for a person who has reached a depth at where their ungs have been compressed such that they have a negative bouyancy. For an average male starting with a full lung volume this would general have occurred by the time they are submerged more than 25m.

So, please assume that the person is submerged to an initial depth at which they do sink, which is when lung volume has diminished significantly and they are displacing somewhere around 4 litres less water than at the surface due to this state of compressed lungs. Or you could just assume they exhaled completely at the surface, at which time, some of us, if not the average male, would also be negative and sink from the surface.

Thanks.
... above "ungs" is meant to say "lungs". As well  the statement "... with a full lung volume this would general have occurred..." should read, "... with a full lung volume this would generally have occurred..."
Read 317 times
2 Replies