a
t
i
r
parkmel parkmel
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
The monomers of sucrose are glucose and fructose and the monomers of lactose are glucose and galactose.

I'm pretty sure glucose and fructose can be fermented from research conducted online, but I'm not sure if galactose can or not? I don't think it can because I know one of the components of lactose are not able to be broken down by yeast because of the lack of the enzyme to break it down.

If someone can just clear this question up for me, it would be appreciated! Thank you  Slight Smile
Read 4080 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
yes
wrote...
11 years ago
galactose

Could you provide back for that?

It's entirely dependent upon which enzymes a particular variety of yeast is capable of producing. There are a blue gazillion of varieties of yeast, and not all are the same. Most are capable of using only fructose or glucose, and sucrose, which is a disaccharide of fructose and glucose. Kefir, for example, is a fermented milk product that is produced using a combination of bacteria and yeasts that can ferment lactose. Lactose is a disaccharide of galactose and glucose. In this case, either the bacteria or the yeast produce the appropriate enzyme to separate the disaccharide into component monosaccharides, and then the yeast can go to work on the glucose portion. There are so many yeasts and so little known specifically about most of them that it is hard to say for sure that there are or are not yeasts that can work on arabinose and others. At any rate, you are likely working with one of the yeast varieties that are commonly used to make bread, and these lack the enzymes required to convert sugars other than glucose, fructose, and sucrose.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1263 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 274

Previous poll results: Do you believe in global warming?