x
r
m
j
c
Ryn1001 Ryn1001
wrote...
14 years ago
Well I've had this problem for about 5+ years now. I don't know if it's an allergy, genes, or what.

I wash my face every morning with a bit of palmoliv anti-bacterial soap and water on a washcloth. I have discovered that if I put a bit of goldbond moisturizer on my face tends to help with the redness some, but not completely.

At one point I did think the soap may have been too abrasive, and I was washing my face with hypoallergenic soap instead. I tried this for anywhere from a week to a month but to no avail.

I've thought that it might be anything from rosacia (I tried some cream for treating rosacia that I purchased on  eBay but it did not help), to something called Carpet Beetle Dermatitis.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be causing them?

Oh, the symptoms are these:
1. Facial redness on my cheeks and forehead, and occasionally a little on my upper chest.
2. In the past I had another symptom where I would get immitation acne bumps along with the redness.
3. The "bumps" tend to turn into flakey scabs after a time. I still have several spots like this.

I am hopeful that I am finally starting to get better now. The problem started after my room leaked. It's finally fixed now, and the carpet beetle larvae that infested several rooms shortly after that are mostly gone now (as far as I know...). Every night I would find 1 to 3 on the wall next to where I sleep now, and I would kill them. I have seen several centipedes over the past year. I either put them outside or left them alone, since they are fragile and I hope that they have killed out any carpet beetles (and their larvae) that did not die of starvation and/or thirst.

I've been trying to remember to put some lotion on my face every morning after I wash it, but it's easy to forget. It seems to be getting better, but it may be a long and slow process...

So.. thoughts and/or suggestions? =]

(sorry for the long post and/or any repetitions)
Read 2884 times
6 Replies
Replies
wrote...
Educator
14 years ago Edited: 14 years ago, bio_man
These are my favourite types of problems to solve - I was in medicine before I became a teacher Undecided.

It is a very common misconception to believe that rosacea is caused by poor hygiene - it's not. In fact, it is not caused by bacteria, mites, etc. Similarly, some doctors also think that rosacea is caused by a bacterial infection, so they prescribe both topical and oral antibiotics - this is the wrong approach Ryan. Stop buying products off of eBay due to personal insecurities; mind you, we all know how it feels to be different at times. Luckily, however, your condition is generally a harmless cosmetic condition.

You also mentioned carpet beetle dermatitis. 30 years ago, a case study similar to your condition was researched. A 22-year-old man presented with a 5-year history of recurrent facial lesions. After they examined the subject's home, the woolen rug in his bedroom was infested with larvae of a carpet beetle. The insect was identified as Anthrenus verbasci (See photo). Fumigation (fills an area with gaseous pesticides) of the house with sulfuryl fluoride (Vikane) resulted in complete clinical recovery. When the patient was injected with larval antigens (proteins of the insect) from the larvae, the patient one again had similar symptoms as before. This suggests that the patient had immediate-type hypersensitivity to some of the antigens extracted from larvae. Essentially what this means is that you are allergic to pest in your house! You are experiencing a type-III hypersensitivity reaction every-time you are exposed!

All those creams won't work unless you buy a corticosteroid-based topical cream. I don't recommend this. Move out of that room and get rid of those clothes you are wearing Undecided. I'm concerned.

Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Ryn1001 Author
wrote...
14 years ago
Well like I said I haven't seen any of the beetles or larvae in a while. I did find and kill one a while back while cleaning in another room (storage room). It seems they can't live where there is little to no moisture (or they hide and stay dormant).

I haven't had any on my clothes in a long time either. And it's been at least a year since I seen any of them in the room where I'm sleeping now.

I plan on getting rid of the carpet in there, but it may take some time to move all the junk that's on it. xP
wrote...
Educator
14 years ago
I hope you feel better, but luckily we know that it is treatable.
Ryn1001 Author
wrote...
14 years ago
Thanks. =D

Oh and I sprinkled some baby powder down beside the wall where they kept appearing, when I was cleaning up my bed and changing the sheets and all a while back, and I haven't seen any since then.. is it possible that carpet beetle larvae have an adverse reaction to talc?

Oh and yeah I can't seem to sleep tonight. xP My mind is just on a lot of things I guess.
wrote...
13 years ago
go to a dermatologist, maybe you are mistaken and it is not rosacia.. and don't stress about it, this might be another cause for it.. and as bio man said, never buy medications from ebay or anywhere online especially if it wasn't prescribed by a doctor
wrote...
Educator
Top Poster
13 years ago
I'm going to mark this topic as solved.