t
m
p
m
Michi09 Michi09
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I am having difficulty in my Physics seminar.  We are discussing the Higgs Boson (or Particle, what have you) and I am confounded.  Also, he mentioned the string-net liquid and the LHC.  I know the LHC is the key portion to experimentally proving the Higgs Boson, but in what way and how does the string-net liquid work?  I have already asked him and he said not to worry about it because "it's not important."  I believe otherwise.  Please give me as much information as you can. Thanks.
Read 256 times
2 Replies
Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Are you sure about "string-net"?  Never heard of it.

Anyway, one of the WAGs out there is called string-M theory, but that has nothing to do with a liquid.  Its premise is that all sub atomic particles (SAPs) are just manifestations of how these infinitely thin very tiny strings of energy vibrate.  And one predicted SAP is the Higgs Boson.  They think the LHC found the one that weighs in at 126 GeV, which is massive as SAPs go but one of the lightest versions of the many Higgs Boson models.

The WAG is that the HB, which makes up the Higgs Field or Higgs Ocean (might this be your liquid) as it's sometimes called, couples with all the SAPs in the Standard Model.  And in coupling it sends the message "you are mass" to each and every one.  Most of the SAPs listen, which is why all the fermions and most of the bosons have mass.  But a couple do not...photons and the hypothetical gravitons do not, they stay massless.  [Browse Higgs Boson Feynman diagrams and you'll get a long list of images as to how the HB couples with the various SAPs.]
Answer accepted by topic starter
tonichilds83tonichilds83
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
11 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 250 words.