Top Posters
Since Sunday
irina irina
wrote...
11 years ago
I legit am SO CONFUSED by this whole ploidy deal in cells. Everything made sense until I hit this. Can someone please help me through this question.

PS. A clarification of the difference between SETS regarding to diploid and haploid cells would be appreciated!

Thanks so much in advance!!!
Read 735 times
3 Replies
Replies
Answer accepted by topic starter
FinkasFinkas
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 110 words.

Related Topics

wrote...
11 years ago
A haploid cell have only one complete set of chromosomes. The haploid number (n) is the number of chromosomes within the nucleus of a cell that constitutes one complete chromosomal set. So it doesn't matter what the value of n is, a haploid cell have only one complete set of chromosomes .The haploid number is different for different organisms.
wrote...
11 years ago
A set of chromosomes contains a single copy of every gene required by the organism. This is called the haploid number and is identified by n, as in your example. So a haploid number is one complete set of chromosomes.

Some organisms such yeast are haploid and have only one copy of each gene.

Most organisms including humans are diploid and have 2 copies of each  chromosome which they get from each parent and 2 copies of every gene. They have 2 complete sets and are labelled 2n, they have 2 copies of chromosome 1, chromosome 2 etc.

Some organisms may have higher ploidies  - mainly plants. A tetraploid plant has 4 sets of chromosomes, 4 copies of chromosome 1, chromosome 2 etc.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1230 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who's your favorite biologist?
Votes: 586

Previous poll results: Where do you get your textbooks?