s
a
t
i
r
tony3320 tony3320
wrote...
11 years ago
Something I have noticed is that the biggest economies have the largest populations. The only 2 exceptions are Japan and Germany. Germany is only a country of 72 million, yet has almost a 4 trillion gdp, and japan, a small island with 150 million has over 4.5 trillion gdp. This is really impressive. These two nations are export driven though ya know. I was wondering if its possible to have a very large economy with out being export driven and without having a massive amount of land/people?
Read 430 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Luxembourg, It has a really good tourist industry among the Rich and affluent, so it has a high GDP. It can't do much exports because it is land locked.
wrote...
11 years ago Edited: 11 years ago, bio_man
GDP is determined not only by productivity but by the number of workers and so a country that has a small population can never have a large GDP only a large GDP per capita. Small rich countries must import for much of what they consume so must also have a large export sector  to pay for their imports. Germany has a large export sector because they are part if the EU and  has an economy that is inter meshed with the rest of Europe and most of their exports are to other EU nations. Trade accounts for olly a little more of the GDP in Japan than it does for the US.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1251 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352

Previous poll results: How often do you eat-out per week?