f
a
d
c
kmain88 kmain88
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
A dark female moth is crossed with a dark male. All the male progeny are dark, but half the female progeny are light and the rest are dark. Propose an explanation for the pattern of inheritance.

I thought this might be an autosomal dominant trait, but it only works if the male is able to pass his dominant allele to only his sons, and none of his daughters, putting the recessive allele on his x-chromosome. It occurred to me that this probably isn't the correct response as I've sort of created a hybrid between autosomal inheritance and sex-linked inheritance. Any thoughts?
Read 317 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
bbb
wrote...
11 years ago
The phenotype is dominant. It is most likely that both the father and mother are carriers and it looks like it's sex-linked. The father will most likely have the allele on the y chromosome. In this case, all male progeny regardless of the allele inherited from the mother will carry the y chromosome and the dominant phenotype nature of the allele will cause all male progeny to be dark. For the case of a female progeny, it will definitely inherit the x chromosome from the father and it will not contain the allele. Hence, it will depend on what is inherited from the mother. Since the mother is a carrier, there will be a 50% chance of inheriting either the normal or affected allele. Hence, the chance for a female progeny to be dark is 50%.
wrote...
11 years ago
Why add a request tag on a question?

Anyway, the gene is dominant, but the mother or/and father are/is a carrier. Read the attachment.
 Attached file(s) 
(1542.77 KB)
You must login or register to gain access to these attachments.
Biology - The only science where multiplication and division mean the same thing.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1035 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which of the following is the best resource to supplement your studies:
Votes: 292

Previous poll results: Who's your favorite biologist?