p
n
C
z
_Mil96 _Mil96
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I got two different answers and I dont understand how you do this. I know generally you integrate the fluid force of water per cubic foot (62.4) times the area of the hemisphere.
Read 289 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Since the water is static the only fluid force is due to height differential. The force on a unit area in the hemisphere is equal to rho*g*h where rho is the density of water, g is the gravitational constant and h is the hight of the water directly above the unit area.

You can do a double integral to sum up all the forces across area of size dx by dy. Once you do that you'll find that the total force is equal to the weight of the water in the hemisphere which equals rho*volume of hemisphere.

hope that helps.

/m
wrote...
11 years ago
This is a "weight-depth-area" concept....area  here is the area of a strip of the hemisphere at a "constant depth"....assume the hemisphere is found by rotating x^2 + y^2 = 1 about the y axis and taking the bottom half. Then depth is " -y " and area is  "2 pi radius thickness" or 2 pi x delta s or 2 pi x sqrt[ 1 + (x ')^2] dy, over [-1,0]....x ' = -y/x...sqrt[1 + {-y/x}^2] = 1 / x....so integral is 2 pi (-y) "weight" dy.....pi weight
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  982 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 741

Previous poll results: Who's your favorite biologist?