a
t
i
r
Ilovehim Ilovehim
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Hemophilia is a sex-linked trait. If a woman with hemophilia marries a man who does not have hemophilia, what is the probability they will have a son with hemophilia? A daughter?
Read 269 times
3 Replies
Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
just learned this! anyway, hemophilia is a recessive gene, and for it to be passed down and actually show up both parent have to have this kind of homozygous recessive gene or heterozygous recessive gene. at least that's how I interpreted what my teacher was saying. hopefully this helps!
Answer accepted by topic starter
#8#8
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free

Related Topics

wrote...
11 years ago
The genotypes of the parents are:
Mother: X' X'
Father: X Y    
(assume X - normal X chromosome, X' - diseased X chromosome that results in haemophilia if homozygous/ hemizygous)
Any son will get his X chromosome from the mother, so the probability that he will suffer from haemophilia is 100%. A daughter gets one X from each parent. The father's X chr. is normal and hence, although any daughter will be a carrier of the disease, the probability that she will suffer from it is 0%.
This is only theoretical, as it is extremely unlikely that any woman with haemophilia can survive long enough to have children.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  987 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who's your favorite biologist?
Votes: 586