t
i
r
bio_man bio_man
wrote...
Administrator
Educator
12 years ago

We've all seen films like Terminator and the Matrix. They imagine a future where machines have become conscious and aren't very nice. But the reality of this field is very different even if it does feel a lot like science fiction.

The idea of The Singularity has been around for over 50 years. It had a small surge of media attention and in the 1990s and quickly died away. This decade however, it's back in the public eye and far less fringe than ever before. There is a Singularity University, a Singularity hub on Newsweek's website, a feature documentary about it and it made the cover of Time Magazine in February.

The Singularity as defined by Singularitarians is this: our computers are getting faster and smarter at an exponential rate. Meaning they are getting faster at getting faster. Eventually they will be able to match human-level intelligence. When they do, they will take over their own development,; they will be conscious. At this point, the world changes and it is impossible to predict exactly what will happen after that point. Just like an event horizon in a black hole, so technological Singularitarians borrow the term from physics and call it a Singularity.
Read 676 times
2 Replies