t
i
r
r
Juelz_9214 Juelz_9214
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
11 years ago
Does mass ratio influence buffer capacity of an acidic buffer- composed of ethanoic acid and sodium ethanoate)? For instance mass ratio of 1:1 or 1:9 (ethanoic acid:sodium acetate)? How will the different ratios impact the acidic buffer?

I know that concentration ratios have an influence (Henderson-Hasselbalch equation), but what about different masses of salt (same concentration)?

Thanks for any leads!
Read 832 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
The most effective buffer against both acids and bases is one that has a 1:1 ratio of the acid:salt.  The amount of each component will determine how much acid or base can be buffered before the buffer is no longer effective.  I you are buffering against addition of an acid then you might want to have a 1:9 ethanoic acid:sodium ethanoate buffer.  If you are buffering against addition of a base you might want the opposite ratio of ethanoic acid:sodium ethanoate.  I think most buffers are near the 1:1 ratio of ethanoic acid:sodium ethanoate or other weak acid:weak base pair because it is able to buffer in either direction (against and acid or a base).

Different masses of salt merely translates into concentration.  Masses and moles are directly related through the molar masses of the substances.  Normally you will want to work in molarity of the buffer substances.  That makes later calculations easier.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  975 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4

Previous poll results: Do you believe in global warming?