r
m
j
c
iknowdoyou3 iknowdoyou3
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Hi I was wondering what are 3 sources of error in such a lab (non human errors) and 3 improvements-can be related to the sources of error.

I am having a very difficult time coming up w. these. The reactions was as follows:
2-naphtholate anion was generated by reacting 2-naphtol with potassium hydroxide. The anion was then reacted with ethyl iodide; the melting point of the product was then measured to confirm if E2 or SN2 was favored.

I am thinking that a source of error may have been related during recystalization when only a minimal amount of 95% ehtanol was needed- but don't know what effect to much or too little would have.

Or if collecting the crystals by air vacuum was a place that could have led to errors or been improved upon. Or if something could have happened when washing the crystals in the Buchner funnel with no more then 2ml of cold ethanol.

But again, sources of errors can't be excuses like be more careful, they have to be scientific.
Thanks
Read 567 times
1 Reply
Replies
Answer accepted by topic starter
nurianuria
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 210 words.