× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
motivation motivation
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
I am studying a Chemistry Degree and I have got a Biology subject. The book I am going to be tested on is Freeman's Biological Science.

amazon.com/Biological-Science-MasteringBiology-Package-Edition/dp/0321597966/

However, given my scarce biology knowledge, this book is kind of hard for me to understand at the moment. Moreover, I am not able to get motivated to learn through this book, so, even if ultimately I am going to have to swallow it, I would like to be able to study an easier text first. What would you advice? Also, if there are computer programs that can help, please, feel free to give advice as well. The most important hindrance at this time is motivation, so part of my failure to learn has probably more to do with my own subjective mindstate than with the lack of quality of Freeman's text book. However, sometimes new study material (and the process of ordering it, expecting it, etc.) has been known to boost (at least temporarily) motivation levels back to normal. Other times, there's nothing to do in that regard because it's all about an inner game that's difficult to fix no matter how good are the books you have access to. But let's give it a chance, just for the sake of trying.

The exam will consist of questions such as these:

- What is a Phosphorylation Cascade? How does it happen?

-  Complete these sentences about the last stage in the oxidation of glucose:
The electron transport chain is made of molecules responsible for the oxidation of............. While electrons go from one protein of the chain to another, the energy liberated by .................. is used for ............................. ..... through...................... ............................. ........... Next, a flow of ............................. ............., through the ................... enzymatic complex, catalyzes the formation of........................... from ............................. ..... The oxidation of glucose is completed when the electrons at the end of the chain are ............................. ..... in order to form ............................. .........

- What is Carbon Fixation? Explain the difference between carbon fixation for plants C3 and C4.

- The number of somatic chromosomes in an onion (Allium cepa) is 16. If you look at a cell through a microscope, how can you know whether such cell is at the metaphase stage of mitosis, at the metaphase of the first meiotic division or at the metaphase of the second meiotic division?

- What process are the following terms related to?: starter, helicase, Okazaki fragment and telomerase. Define in two lines each of these terms.

- Given the following nucleotide sequence: 5 ́ AUG AGC UAU CGC ACG CAA ACC CCA AUU 3 ́
a) What kind of nucleic acid does it belong to?
b) How many aminoacids will the peptide that is made from this sequence have?

- What are plasmids? Comment briefly on their use in genetic engineering.

I would like to know what you think. I am absolutely lost and don't know where to start.

Thanks in advance.
Read 2468 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
10 years ago
Is the course centred around this textbook? If it is, you need to swallow your pride and purchase the darn thing. If it isn't, a better choice would be a textbook from the Campbell's Biology series. Every textbook comes with ample resources to help you learn, this could range from chapter-by-chapter study guides all the way to animations provided on a CD. The best way to learn biology, from my experience, is to have it illustrated to you in animations. So, whenever you need to understand a concept, just start a new thread asking for an animation; we have tons of good ones. Now, regarding those questions, do you need them answered, or were you just showing us what questions you're expected to know how to answer?
motivation Author
wrote...
10 years ago
Is the course centred around this textbook? If it is, you need to swallow your pride and purchase the darn thing.

Yes, it is. I have already bought the book, the problem is that I cannot force myself to use it because I find it too boring and the concepts pretty difficult to grasp. My main aim at the moment is that of finding alternative learning material that can provide me with enough knowledge and motivation to be able to move on to Freeman's book when I am ready.

If it isn't, a better choice would be a textbook from the Campbell's Biology series. Every textbook comes with ample resources to help you learn, this could range from chapter-by-chapter study guides all the way to animations provided on a CD.

This Campbell's book ...

amazon.co.uk/Campbell-Biology-Mastering-Student-Access/dp/1408277379/

is much cheaper than this other

amazon.co.uk/Campbell-Biology-Jane-B-Reece/dp/0321558235

Aren't they quite the same? I'd say that the cheap book is even better than the other because it seems to provide access to online learning content, whereas the expensive one (the hardback version) doesn't seem to.

Would you recommend Campbell's book for the newbie level?

The best way to learn biology, from my experience, is to have it illustrated to you in animations. So, whenever you need to understand a concept, just start a new thread asking for an animation; we have tons of good ones.

Thank you very much. I agree with you. Freeman's book also provides some online content where you are allowed to watch and interact with animations. The interacting part is, from my viewpoint, the most didactic, in the sense that it provides a better learning experience by letting you get involved, whereas plain animations are probably too passive to be efficient. I think that a videogame where you learnt real (and not science fiction) biology concepts by interacting in the game would be golden, but I highly doubt such a thing even exists.

Now, regarding those questions, do you need them answered, or were you just showing us what questions you're expected to know how to answer?

I just wanted to show them to you so that you could know what kind of questions I am going to have to go through at the exam. Depending on the type of questions the study methodology you have to choose might be different (i.e. if you have to memorize a lot, you have to develop a different approach). More important, I wanted you to be able to guess if the text books you recommend me are suitable in order to prepare for such kind of questions.

Thanks!
wrote...
Educator
10 years ago
amazon.co.uk/Campbell-Biology-Mastering-Student-Access/dp/1408277379/

That's not the textbook Undecided The other link is.

Aren't they quite the same? I'd say that the cheap book is even better than the other because it seems to provide access to online learning content, whereas the expensive one (the hardback version) doesn't seem to.

Don't get the student companion, that won't help. The Campbell's series is quite good, but damn is it detailed for an introductory course. If you want something plain and simple, go for a grade 12 biology textbook (Nelson has a good one).

I think that a videogame where you learnt real (and not science fiction) biology concepts by interacting in the game would be golden, but I highly doubt such a thing even exists.

Video games, in my perspective, are too mindless. Would probably end up not learning a thing Wink Face

All in all, the questions you posed are more than suitable with a Campbell's textbook. I think you can search it up in Google Books to sample through some pages.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1270 People Browsing
Related Images