t
i
r
asickles1124 asickles1124
wrote...
10 years ago
1. What is the blood volume of an average-size adult male? 5-6 liters
What is the blood volume of an average-size adult female? 4-5 liters

2. What determines whether blood is bright red or a dull brick-red?
its degree of oxygenation (the more oxygen it carries, the brighter red it is)    

3. IDENTIFY THE CELL TYPES
1. Most numerous leukocyte -  neutrophil    
2. Granulocytes-    eosinophil, basophil, and neutrophil
3. Also called an erythrocyte; anucleate formed element- red blood cell
4. Actively phagocytic leukocytes-    monocyte, neutrophil
5. Agranulocytes-    monocyte, lymphocyte
6. Ancestral cell of platelets- megakaryocyte    
7. These are all examples of-  formed elements    
8. Number rises during parasite infections- eosinophil
9. Releases histamine; promotes inflammation- basophil
10. Many formed in lymphoid tissue- lymphocyte    
11. Transports oxygen- red blood cells    
12. Primarily water, noncellular; the fluid matrix of blood- plasma    
13. Increases in number during prolonged infections- monocyte    
14. The five types of white blood cells- eosinophil, basophil, monocyte, neutrophil, lymphocyte    

4. List four classes of nutrients normally found in plasma.
Glucose, amino acids, lipids (fatty acids) & vitamins
 Name two gases.  Oxygen & carbon dioxide     
Name three ions. Na+ , Cl- , Mg2+ (HCO3-)

5. LAB QUESTION

6. What is the average life span on a red blood cell? How does its anucleate condition affect this life span?
The average life span is 100-120 days. It affects its condition because they are unable  to reproduce or repair damage caused during circulation.

7. LAB QUESTION

8. BLOOD PATHOLOGIES
1. Abnormal increase in the number of WBCs-   leukocytosis    
2. Abnormal increase in the number of RBCs-  polycythemia
3. Condition of too few RBCs or of RBCs with hemoglobin deficiencies- anemia    
4. Abnormal decrease in the number of WBCs-    leukopenia    

9. Broadly speaking, why are hemaotlogic studies of blood so important in the diagnosis of disease?
This is because blood composition reflects the health status of many body functions.

10. LAB QUESTIONS

11. Why is a differential WBC count more valuable than a total WBC count when trying to pin down the specific source of pathology?
A differential WBC count is more valuable because any abnormal count of any of the WBC can indicate a problem. EX: an increase in neurophils can mean a bacterial infection.

12. Process of RBC production-  Erythropoiesis
 Hormone that acts as a stimulus for Erythropoiesis-   Erythropoietin; Glycoprotien
Why might patient with Kidney Disease suffer from anemia?
The kidneys release erythropoietin to stimulate bone marrow to make more RBC's. Kidney disease would inhibit this process.

13. Discuss the effect of each of the following factors on RBC count.
--long term effect of athletic training (EX: running 4 to 5 miles per day over a period of six to nine months)
Endurance training would enlarge your blood volume resulting in lower RBC count per unit. This is known as sports anemia.
--a permanent move from sea level to a high altitude area
Any prolonged period of O2 deprivation results in an increase in RBC production. Since there is less O2 the higher you are, your RBC count will increase.

14. Define hematocrit:  packed cell volume; percentage of total blood volume occupied by RBC

15. If you had a high hematocrit, would you expect your hemoglobin to be high or low? Why?
High; the more eurythrocytes you have, the more hemoglobinis needed for O2 bonding.

16. What is an anticoagulant?    A substance that inhibits blood clotting
Name two anticoagulants used in conducting the hematologic tests.
Heparin (in capillary tubes) and EDTA
What is the body's natural anticoagulant? Heparin    

17. If your blood clumped with both anti-A and anti-B sera, your ABO blood type would be:  AB
To what ABO blood groups could you give blood? ***DEPENDS ON YOUR BLOOD TYPE**SINCE I AM O+ I CAN GIVE TO ALL***
From which ABO blood types can you receive blood?   ***DEPENDS ON YOUR BLOOD TYPE**SINCE I AM O+ I CAN ONLY RECEIVE TYPE O BLOOD***
Which blood type which is most common?  O+
Which blood type which is least common?  AB-

18. Which blood type which is theoretically considered the universal donor? Why?
 O+; they can usually give blood to all without causing a reaction to a transfusion.

19. Mr. Adams has type O and Mr. Calhoon has type A.

20. Explain why an Rh-negative person does not have a transfusion reaction on the first exposure to  Rh-positive blood, but does on the second exposure?
Rh antigens of donor are sensitized the first time but on the second time it does not and a reaction occurs.
What happens when an ABO blood type is mismatched the first time?
Antibodies bind together causing blood to clump together and not function properly.

21. LAB QUESTIONS

22. Normal range for plasma cholesterol concentration- 130-200 mg/100ml

23. Describe the relationship between high blood cholesterol levels and cardiovascular diseases such as hypertension, heart attacks, and strokes.
Cholesterol is a major component of smooth muscle plaques formed during atherosclerosis. Plaques narrow the arteries and contribute to hypertension. They also help in the formation of blood clots that break away and block smaller vessels in the circulatory system and causes heart attacks or strokes.
Read 8607 times
1 Reply