a
t
i
r
smilesalot891 smilesalot891
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
I am interested in making my own type of scent cover for deer hunting. Scent killer is $6.99 for a 8 oz bottle where I can get it from, and it doesn't last long enough. I am also a chemistry major, so I have taken various organic courses and understand the main ideas of different reactions.

I would like to extract the oils from various leaves, nuts, and plants (oak, maple, walnut, poplar, acorns, hickory, walnuts, grasses?) to hopefully combine for something that smells very similar to the scent killer products that I use.

Usually when we do an ester synthesis or something similar in lab, we start with a compound with an aromatic, dissolve it in solvent, and then evaporate the solvent leaving behind that (water soluable) oil which can be diluted with water. In this case, I would mix the plant scented oil with water to have large quantities of scent killer available for my own use. (I use a LOT because nothing ruins a hunt like getting smelled by deer).

Anyways, I need help on which solvents to use to extract the oils of the plants with. Also, would the process only be to soak the leaves/plants/nuts in the solvent, or would stirring and heat (such as a reflux reaction) also be necessary? Thanks!!!
Read 343 times
1 Reply