s
a
t
i
r
customx customx
wrote...
13 years ago
Can someone please double check my answer and explain how you arrived at the answer?

Imagine that you are a genetic counselor, and a couple planning to start a family comes to you for information. Sam was married once before, and he and his first wife had a child who died of Tay-Sachs disease. The brother of his current wife, Mary, had a child who died of Tay-Sachs disease. What is the probability that Sam and Mary will have a baby with Tay-Sachs disease? (Neither Sam nor Mary has Tay-Sachs disease).

My teacher said there are two answers.

I believe they are 1x(2/3)x(1/4) = 1/6
and
1x(1/2)x(1/4) = 1/8

Mary can be either Homozygous dominant (meaning she does not have Tay-Sachs) or heterozygous, meaning she is a carrier. If she had Tay-Sachs, he would be dead, so she has a 2/3 chance that she is a carrier. Crossing Tt with Tt results in a .25 probablity that the baby has Tay-Sachs, or 1/6 chance.

Now, if Mary is homozygous dominant and is not a carrier, wouldn't her probability be (1/3)? I swear my teacher said it would be (1/2) but that doesn't make sense to me. Can someone please explain which one is correct? (1/2) or (1/3)? Thanks!
Read 807 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
Their chances are 1 x 1/2 x 2/3 x 1/2 = 1/6;

Moreover, there is a 2/3 chance of being a carrier
customx Author
wrote...
13 years ago
Their chances are 1 x 1/2 x 2/3 x 1/2 = 1/6;

Moreover, there is a 2/3 chance of being a carrier

Can you please explain how you arrived at those probabilities?

I know how Sam can be 1, but where do you get the 1/2 from?

We know that Sam must be heterozygous because his child with his first wife died from the disease. That means there is a 100% probability that he is a carrier.

Mary is the key. She must be either homozygous dominant (she doesn't have the disease, nor is she a carrier) or heterozygous. Since she isn't homozygous recessive, that rules out one of the 4 possibilities, leaving three possibilities, TT, Tt, or Tt.

Assuming homozygous dominant:
Sam Tt 1.0 x Mary TT .33 x Child 0.0 (since the offspring should be either TT, TT, Tt, Tt) giving a 0 probability that the child will have Tay-Sachs.

Assuming Mary is heterozygous:
Sam Tt 1.0 x Mary Tt .666 x Child tt .25 = 1/6, or .166. Sam and Mary's children should have a genotype of TT, Tt, Tt, or tt, hence the .25 probability of acquiring Tay-Sachs.

Does this all seem correct?
wrote...
Staff Member
13 years ago Edited: 13 years ago, duddy
No, it's definitely 1/6. Not sure how, but I've seen it done before. It's a classical genetics question and you mentioned it in your first post: 1x(2/3)x(1/4) = 1/6.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1209 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4