p
n
C
z
MrHarmtz MrHarmtz
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
Hello i ask you to help me settle an argument with my friend.
the qustion: can evolution be non-spontaneous in nature?
I will elaborate:
the qustion is is it possible that mutation can be non-spontaneous, in a way that a certin organisim developed a mutation on its own to survive in a certin enviroment.
I am not talking about natural selection, but the possibilty that lets say a giraffe, developed its long neck not because a spontaneous mutation occured, but because a "pre-giraffe" tried to get to the higher leaves and past a certin information to its offspring to develop a longer neck.
Read 390 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
You mean, can mutations be self-induced? Yes. We manipulate mutations by things like artificial selection and sexual selection.
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
wrote...
10 years ago
No my question was more directed at the genetic material itself, the course of its mutation. If a mutation can appear only on its own (spontaneous) or is it possible that it can mutate because of a biological mechanism that is in charge of it (non spontaneous and I don't mean a virus) to evolve like in the giraffe example.
wrote...
Educator
10 years ago
Hi there,

Mutations don't have an agenda of their own. They all happen spontaneously (99% of them do). On the other hand, this are things called transposons. A transposable element (transposon) is a DNA sequence that can change its position within the genome, sometimes creating or reversing mutations and altering the cell's genome size.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  992 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion