× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
Alexx Alexx
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
10 years ago
Hi, can someone suggest me a free antivirus?

The characteristics I would like, are:
1) To be able to easily close and open the antivirus application whenever I want. (not just being able to disable it)
2) I don't want automatic updates or update reminder and such annoying things
3) (optional) I would like an antivirus with low cpu usage.

Thanks!
Read 725 times
7 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
Can I be totally honest Alexx, I haven't used an antivirus scanner ever since I switched to Windows 7 Professional. The operating system does a great job warding off most issues. Are you sure you have a virus or is it a program that's being installed in the background without your knowledge? All virus programs are sluggish and irritating.
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
wrote...
10 years ago
The no.1 antivirus in the world is you. Learn how the internet works and how they plant things on your computer. Remember, free is never free on the internet. When they say free, think about what else is going to be installed on your computer.
wrote...
10 years ago
Whatever you do, do not go with AVG Face with Open Mouth
When you like a flower, you just pluck it out.
But when you love a flower, you water it daily.
The one who understands this, understands life.

- That's the difference between I like you and I love you.
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
2) I don't want automatic updates or update reminder and such annoying things

By the way, I think you can disable this option on most virus scanners.
Tralalalala Slight Smile
wrote...
10 years ago
Interesting topic. Before getting into teaching, I worked with computer for a long time. In my experience, I will tell you to never use a free antivirus (AV) alone. Free AV's will let you down. Norton, It's the worst of the paid. Next in line would be Bit Defender. They are both resource hogs that do not do as well as advertised. If I am going to give up some of my resources, I'm going to give it up for something that works. Me, I will not use a free AV.

Avast, It's OK, But, It's weakness is Trojan Mal Ware. AVG, It's weakness is everything. It's the sorriest free AV out there. Microsoft Security Essentials runs a close second to AVG

The best paid AV out there right now is Kaspersky. It's the big dog of paid. You put it on a clean computer and you can forget it for a year. I've had it for 9 years. It's given me 100% security for 9 years.

But, If you can't afford Kaspersky, This is what I would do if I couldn't. I would use Avast free addition.

But, I would back it up with the paid addition of Mal ware Bytes Anti Mal ware. It's a very good program. You only have to pay for it once. 27.95 and it's yours for the life of the computer. Mal ware Bytes will pick up where Avast leaves off. You are going to need the real time security that only a paid addition will give you. Never, ever trust a free AV alone. It's not wise. Another thing, You can back both of these up with the free edition of Super Anti Spyware. You should be good to go for a long time.
Alexx Author
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
10 years ago
Thanks for the replies.
I think you are right, for everyday use an antivirus is not so important. I also don't remember if I ever got a virus that I couldn't deal with.

It's just that there are some times when, although you get a windows warning, you really want to check a downloaded program!!

Well, I guess that, if I ever really need an antivirus, I'll use Avast!. I'm not spending a penny at anything else  Money Mouth Face Money Mouth Face Money Mouth Face
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
Whatever you do, do not go with AVG Face with Open Mouth

lol I know what you mean.
Tralalalala Slight Smile
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1261 People Browsing
Gallery