a
t
i
r
biobabe biobabe
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
10 years ago
Ok I'm honestly stuck, I have read through the notes but I can't seem to answer the question.
I know WHAT linkage does, I just can't explain HOW it does it :/
Help would be much appreciated Slight Smile
Source  Biozone Year 12 Biology. p263 Q2
Read 8606 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Donated
Valued Member
10 years ago
Linked genes will decrease the amount of genetic variation in offspring because it violates Mendel's law of independent assortment.  When genes assort independently, alleles are able to be donated by parents at equal rates, whereas when genes are linked, then the likelihood of two (or more) genes passed together as a group is raised greatly, and genetic variation becomes dependent upon recombination, again, which is less likely than random independent assortment.

Assume a parent has:

A B
------
------
a  b

If the genes are shown to assort according to Mendel's law, then offspring are equally likely to receive A;B, A;b, a;B, and a;b from that parent (all 25% likely).

Assume now that the genes are linked with a recombination frequency of 20%, now the probabilities of combinations are as follows:

80% A;B or a;b
20% A;b or a;B

therefore, 40% A;B, 40% a;b, 10% A;b, and 10% a;B.  That is, 80% likely to have two genes exactly like this parent instead of 50% likelihood when Mendel's second law is in play.
Pretty fly for a SciGuy
biobabe Author
wrote...
10 years ago
Thank you Slight Smile you are awesome!
biobabe Author
wrote...
10 years ago
@HannahQ
ummmmmm, confused! what does that have to do with the question?? (soz if it's obvious :/)
wrote...
Donated
Valued Member
10 years ago
Thanks for the kind words.  If you're satisfied with the answer, please mark as solved. Slight Smile
Pretty fly for a SciGuy
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1309 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4