a
t
i
r
stylas stylas
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
Hi, does anyone have the answer key for this exercise? i want to check my answers as I'm revising for a final exam and I'm not sure if all my answers are correct

Endocrine System: The Actions of Hormones on Target Cells

1.   The receptor is activated by the input signal that is the ______________.
This signal causes a biochemical change in the cell.  Name three of the five possible changes listed.   _________________
   -What is bound to the G protein in the inactive state? ________ In the active state? __________
   -What catalyzes the conversion of ATP to cAMP? _________  _________
   -What is known as the first messenger?  _________Second messenger? _________
   -A molecule of cAMP activates  ________ ________ __, which can phosphorylate many proteins.
   -A single molecule of a hormone can have a large effect on the cell due to this process called ___________.
   -What is the enzyme that inactivates cAMP? _________________
4.   Insulin:
   -Insulin decreases plasma glucose, amino acids and fatty acids by stimulating the conversion of them to their storage form.  Name these storage forms.
      glucose        ? _____________
      amino acids ? ____________
      fatty acids    ?  ____________
- Conversion to the storage form is known as _________ metabolism.
   -After a meal, high levels of glucose, amino acids and fatty acids lead to a/an (decrease or increase) in insulin secretion.
   -The autonomic nervous system also regulates insulin secretion.  What effects would the sympathetic and parasympathetic system have on insulin secretion?
      Sympathetic       ? ____________
      Parasympathetic ? ____________
    -Insulin travels in the blood and binds to what type of receptors on the cell membrane? _________
-What is the approximate half-life of insulin?  _________
   -What hormone increases plasma glucose levels?  _________ This hormone breaks down the storage forms and this is known as __________ metabolism.
5.   Diabetes:
   -Type (1 or 2) diabetes is characterized by a resistance of the target cells to insulin.  Plasma insulin levels are normal or high.
   -In type 1 diabetes, the lack of insulin and glycogenolysis in the liver leads to (hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia).
   - With the increase in filtration of glucose at the kidneys the carriers become ________ and glucose appears in the urine, also known as ___________.
   -Glucose acts as an _________ __________ leading to increased urine flow.
   -Increased lipolysis produces an increase in _______ ______ which when used as fuel produces _________.
   - The presence of these in plasma and urine is known respectively as ___________ and ___________.
6.   -Lipid soluble hormones such as _________ and __________ hormone bind to receptors located _______________.
   -Once the hormone binds to the receptor, the ___________ dissociates from the receptor complex.
   -The hormone receptor complexes act as ____________ _________.
-The receptor-hormone complex then binds to ______.
-The mRNA produces _________________ that catalyze biochemical reactions in the cell.
7.   Cortisol is classified as a ________ hormone.  Name 4 major actions of Cortisol.
      _____________________      _______________________
      _____________________      _______________________
   These actions are important for the stress response.
8.   The main function of thyroid hormones is: ______________________.
   Three other specific functions include:

Read 12725 times
13 Replies
Replies
Answer accepted by topic starter
bio_manbio_man
wrote...
Educator
Top Poster
12 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 250 words.
evanbradley,  anaroch,  anabolicqt,  Maryel_S,  huntm12,  TKBLUE,  rgrubb93,  squeaky_2225,  dummer,  CFLO5582,  Lena N.,  bowhog,  perrittb,  alyparker08,  bswilson,  mollykalin,  squidneyengberg,  Alexa_cool,  Passyhertz2,  bdjan,  Zezo.B,  backtoschool,  Nurse_Wildwoman