a
t
i
r
r
Xooki3 Xooki3
wrote...
13 years ago
I am thinking about studying marine biology when i go to university. Dose anyone know good universities for marine biology or that specialize in the field.

I already have two suggested to me:
1) Portsmouth University
2) University of Western Australia

Could anyone add to my short list.

Thanks.

Read 3888 times
8 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
13 years ago
Wait, where abouts are you located right now (what country)?

Personally, I don't think you should invest the money just yet! To be a marine biologist, you first need to seek a degree in general biologist before anything else or literary nothing will make sense to you.
~Live well, laugh often, and love with all of your heart!~
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
Sarah's right. You can't become a bio-ethicist without having a background in biology. Similarly, you can't be a biochemist without knowing either or. Therefore, if you do pick a university, make sure that their curriculum emphasizes general biology with the first two years of study. If the course (marine biology) is structured so that year 3 classes and year 4 classes deal mainly with marine biology, than you should consider that school.

By all means, finding a local university is the best.
Xooki3 Author
wrote...
13 years ago
The Portsmouth biology degree takes you across a wide spread of topics then allows you to specialize. Is this what i will be looking for or would it be better to take a degree specializing in marine biology from the start?

I live in Kenya by the way. I am just looking into courses and uni's now so i can work towards something, i still have two years of school left so i wont be applying for anything anytime soon. 
wrote...
13 years ago
In my place at the university i go to ( which is a public university ) you can't start studying a specialty.. first you have to get a bachelor in general biology, where the first 2 years all courses are obligatory, and only till 3rd year you can start choosing between courses.. then after you get your undergrad degree you can start specializing either in the same university or at a different one.. and i find this system to work better than others that give their students more freedom in choosing their courses.
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
In my place at the university i go to ( which is a public university ) you can't start studying a specialty.. first you have to get a bachelor in general biology, where the first 2 years all courses are obligatory, and only till 3rd year you can start choosing between courses.. then after you get your undergrad degree you can start specializing either in the same university or at a different one..

Same with me, I went through all the mandatory courses during my undergrad degree and then rather than specializing (say in marine biology), i did general biology, so I am knowledgeable and confident in all fields.
Xooki3 Author
wrote...
13 years ago
Thanks for the advice guys! will look deeper into it.
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
Anytime. If you need further assistance, give us a shout!
Jaydhenz Author
wrote...
13 years ago
University of Western Australia is a great University for Marine Biology. They offer a good training and experience to their students. So I suggest to you that you start your career here in this University.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1259 People Browsing
 128 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 741