a
t
i
r
wrote...
Valued Member
12 years ago
Octopuses get erections

Octopuses can get erections, according to US researchers. The male octopus seems to have an inflatable organ, called the ligula, on one of its arms. This is the so called ‘mating arm’. The structure of the ligula is remarkably similar to mammal penises and clitorises, so say the researchers. It has cavities that fill with blood held together by collagen. Male octopuses produce a packet of sperm and insert it into their mate using this specialized arm. When all goes according to plan, the ligula is deployed inside the female, obscuring its function and size. It might help to transfer sperm, or it might scrub out the sperm of previous mates. The organ is bright white, lacking the colour-changing cells that camouflage the rest of the octopus. In the two-spot, which hunts by day, this might be a beacon to predators. Shrinking it away might minimize this risk. I guess the female octopi can be glad he has this organ on only one of his many arms!
Don't forget to give me a thumbs up!
wrote...
Donated
12 years ago
interesting
HOPE*FAITH*LOVE
wrote...
Valued Member
12 years ago
interesting

Thanks
wrote...
Valued Member
12 years ago
The longest time someone has been awake is 264 hours.

The longest someone went on without any sleep was 264, which is 11 days!

This remarkable record was set in 1964, when Randy Gardner stayed awake for 264 hours. He was 17 years old at the time of his record. He stayed awake without using stimulants of any kind.

After completing his record, Gardner slept 14 hours and 40 minutes, awoke naturally around 10:00 p.m., stayed awake 24 hours, then slept a normal eight hours.

There are quite a few claims of beating this record, but none are documented enough to make it official. The Guiness Book of Records has decided not to include this record anymore because of the health risks.
wrote...
Valued Member
12 years ago
Women’s tears lessen sexual arousal in men

Men who smell women’s tears have lower levels of testosterone and less physiological arousal than men who smell a saline solution.

This is the outcome of a research into the presence of chemical signals in tears of women.
The researchers knew that mouse tears contain pheromones that convey information to other mice. So they looked for similar kinds of signals in human tears.

Two women volunteered to watch sad movies and have their tears collected. Twenty-four men were then asked to sniff the movie tears or a saline solution. The men noted no particular smell in either sample of salty water. But the men?s own body chemistry could tell the difference.

When the men looked at emotionally neutral images of women?s faces after sniffing real tears, they reported less sexual attraction. The men also had lower levels of testosterone and less physiological arousal after smelling emotional tears compared with saline. Future studies will look at men's tears, once researchers have collected enough videos of heartbreaking losses in big football games.
wrote...
Valued Member
12 years ago
Love can ease pain

According to Stanford University researchers Love might ease pain.

Brain scans suggest many of the areas normally involved in pain response are also activated by amorous thoughts.

Stanford University researchers gave 15 students mild doses of pain, while checking if they were distracted by gazing at photos of their beloved.

The study focused on people early in a romance, journal PLoS One reported, so the “drug of love” may wear off.

It has been known for some time that strong feelings of love are linked to intense activity in several different brain regions.

These include areas linked to the brain chemical dopamine, which produces the brain’s feel-good state following certain stimulants – from eating sweets to taking cocaine.
They found that viewing the picture of their beloved reduced perceptions of pain much more than looking at the image of the acquaintance.

Dr Jarred Younger, one of the researchers involved, said that the “love-induced analgesia” appeared to involve more primitive functions of the brain, working in a similar way to opioid painkillers.
wrote...
Valued Member
12 years ago
The biggest frog is almost the size of a house cat

The Goliath frog is the biggest frog in the world and can grow up to 33cm (13 inches) in length and can weigh up to 3kg (8 lb).

The goliath frog lives mainly in Cameroun and Equatorial Guinea. The frog can live up to 15 years and it eats mainly crabs.
wrote...
Valued Member
12 years ago
Strawberries are a member of the rose family

Strawberries are a member of the rose family. The garden strawberry belongs to the roses family. The Rosaceae is the rose family. Even more surprisingly might be the fact that also apples, apricots, plums, cherries, peaches, pears, raspberries and even almonds belong to the rose family.

wrote...
Valued Member
12 years ago
The Golden Dart Frog is the most poisonous animal in the world

Phyllobates terribilis, the Golden Dart Frog, is a poison dart frog endemic to the Pacific coast of Colombia. This amphibian of the family Dendrobatidae is currently considered the most poisonous vertebrate worldwide. This poison dart frog is confirmed to have killed humans who touched the wild frog directly. It carries enough poison to kill around 20 people.

The Golden Poison Frog’s skin is drenched in alkaloid poison, one of a number of poisons common to dart frogs (batrachotoxins) which prevents nerves from transmitting impulses, leaving the muscles in an inactive state of contraction. This can lead to heart failure or fibrillation. Alkaloid batrachotoxins can be stored by frogs for years after the frog is deprived of a food-based source, and such toxins do not readily deteriorate, even when transferred to another surface. Chickens and dogs have died from contact with a paper towel on which a frog had walked.

The average dose carried will vary between locations, and consequent local diet, but the average wild P. terribilis is generally estimated to contain about one milligram of poison, enough to kill about 10,000 mice. This estimate will vary in turn, but most agree that this dose is enough to kill between 10 and 20 humans, which correlates to up to two African bull elephants. This is roughly 15,000 humans per gram.
wrote...
12 years ago Edited: 12 years ago, barathvaj
oh nice. .thanks for info. .can i know how it is embryologicaly proved?
~Bv ram~I'm a student for all those who teaches
wrote...
12 years ago
Intersting. thanks for sharing
wrote...
Valued Member
12 years ago
oh nice. .thanks for info. .can i know how it is embryologicaly proved?

Hi, read up on this:

Prothero D.R, Schoch R. M (2003). Horns, Tusks, and Flippers: The Evolution of Hoofed Mammals. Johns Hopkins University Press.

It describes the evidence Slight Smile
wrote...
12 years ago
my professor said today that lemon iced tea is worse for your teeth than coca cola
bio_man Author
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
my professor said today that lemon iced tea is worse for your teeth than coca cola

Did he give a reason?
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1255 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352