Educator
Top Poster
3 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free

Related Topics

marinejas Author
wrote...
3 years ago
how is 1 2/3π in the 4th quadrant, I don't understand that.
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
1 2/3 is like saying 1 pi plus another 2/3 (two thirds) pi. Assuming you know that 1 pi is half a circle, adding two thirds to that means you've completed almost 2pi (full circle). Therefore, it's safe to say that the angle is in the fourth quadrant.
marinejas Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Okay I got it, but for the next part (special triangles) does it matter what special triangle you are using, and for the sin ratio I got 1/2 from the special triangle so far, I know you have to use the chart to find the angle but couldn't figure it out, how did u end up getting √3/2? I learned this a while ago, so I sort of forgot how to do this but I'm starting to get it now.
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Look at the angle pi/3 in the special triangle I provided (and that I recommended you memorize). Sine is opposite over hypotenuse, and if you see, opposite is sqrt(3) and hypotenuse is 2.

Mind you, I believe there are 2 special triangles you'll always need to know
marinejas Author
wrote...
3 years ago
so since since we have pi/3 as our answer to the 4th quadrant, we use that specific special triangle, which also has pi/3 or 60 degrees?
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
pi/3 is the reference angle, so you use the special triangle that associates pi/3, pi/6, and pi/2.

Ignore thinking in degrees, as hard as it may be.

I'll be making a video on this tonight; I'll go through all three questions in detail
marinejas Author
wrote...
3 years ago
okay thank you so much Slight Smile
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Enjoy, and watch carefully!

marinejas Author
wrote...
3 years ago
thank you so much that really helped me, and I also have one more question, could you also convert the 5pi/3 to degrees to find out which quadrant it is in? Like I did 5pi/3 x 180/pi and got 300 degrees (4th quadrant). That would be another way as well, right?
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
It is equivalent to 300 degrees, correct. But it's not an efficient way of doing the problem, because I think you should learn your radians.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  969 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 741