a
t
i
r
r
oemBiology oemBiology
wrote...
A year ago
During earthquake, there are many story about drink urine to survive in practice.
I would like to know on following situation

1) if I don't drink urine, how many days can I survive without water?
2) if I drink urine, how many days can I survive without water?

Which way I can survive longer?

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance

"Turkey earthquake: Teenager trapped under rubble for 94 hours drinks own urine to survive"
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/turkey-earthquake-teenager-rescued-b2279694.html

Is it safe to drink your urine?
That said, it is possible to drink your urine without ill effects. A healthy person who’s fully hydrated likely wouldn’t be harmed by a couple cups of his own clear cocktail (not golden at this point). Urine is about 95% water. It is not completely sterile of microorganisms, as many sources incorrectly state. But it doesn’t contain any of the harmful microbes that can make you immediately sick—such as those you might ingest from contaminated wilderness water, and which are generally transferred through feces instead.

https://www.msrgear.com/blog/is-it-safe-to-drink-your-urine/
Read 180 times
6 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
Anonymous
wrote...
A year ago
I think 3 to 5 days is the maximum, but of course this depends on the situation. For example, if you're in a high heat location, such as a desert, it is likely to be within the range of 1 to 2 days.

The problem with drinking your own urine is that it is salty. Drinking anything salty can lead to dehydration, which further promotes thirst. In addition, urine contains other waste products that your body already deemed hazardous; hence it is not a good idea under any circumstance IMO.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
A year ago Edited: A year ago, oemBiology
so would Teenager trapped under rubble still able to survive for 94 hours without water?

Would drinking own urine ONLY reduce the desire for thirsty?
would drinking own urine help teenager to survive longer than without water?

Drinking urine to survive seems giving a lot of wrong concept during earthquake situation.

Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you very much for any suggestions (^v^)

Anonymous
wrote...
A year ago
96 hours is still likely under ideal situations, but if it means being buried under a pile of rubble, unless some divine intervention occurs, there's no chance that they'd survive that long. Urine drinking again would on exacerbate the issue.
wrote...
A year ago
Urine is mostly water, but it also contains waste products, salts, and other compounds that your body is trying to eliminate. Drinking urine can actually lead to further dehydration and could potentially introduce harmful substances back into your body.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
A year ago
Conclusively, drinking urine do more harm than good to body.
Thanks, to everyone very much for suggestions (^v^)
Anonymous
wrote...
A year ago
I agree. There is no advantage to it.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1205 People Browsing
 126 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 431

Previous poll results: Who's your favorite biologist?