s
s
b
c
ongiri ongiri
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
A month ago
Hi people, I am studying my way through basics of nutrition in my spare time.

NOTE

I am not a nutritionist and this is why I posted this, I am studying by myself and I want to be sure I understand the real deal, not random based stuff.

I'd like to ask more expert nutritionists what is the truth, especially because the world is divided into:

- Carbs are evil (corporations are selling sugars to you to slowly kill you etc.)
- Carbs are good if you eat them properly.

So, studying and watching also documentaries I developed this thought:

First of all carbs are a necessary part that keeps us running, their absence can also cause problems.

They have always been a big part of our diet, every culture relied on them, take for exanple rice in Asia, or bread in Europe. Back in time, poor people got fueled by carbs, because they were cheap and not everyone could afford meat etc.

You must eat carbs in a moderate way even if high GI and you MUST stay active so you burn them off.

The problem with this carbs demonization comes from ultra processed sweets and other crap, that yes, can be eaten as a 1 time during the month, but must not be a staple.

The problem to insulin resistance and correlated dieseas comes from a mix of factors such as:

- Uncontrolled crappy food consumption
- Lack of exercise
- Ignorance lead by etiquettes

Often you see (low in fat) then people thinks, oh this is healty, but then if you read the description, it has like 60g of carbs and 18 of them are sugars.

An example, random yoghurt with random flavour.

(Obviously the one above is an example to explain my thought)

All of this lead me to a question, why there are nutritionists picking a side?

Nutrition is science, and as such must be applied without picking a side or become an evangelist of (Random trend) that people believes in.

As a nutritionist I think your job is to educate people to be responsible and understand how to eat, not just shove them ideologies and keep them in bubbles of ignorance.

What I said above is based on my experience with different nutritionists, piinting the finger at each other saying "no what person X says is crap" to sell their service.
Read 113 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
A month ago
I was having a similar discussion about this yesterday with my family member lol

Your understanding is exactly the way I understand it. Human begins are not carnivores, but omnivores. It is evident by the enzymes we produce, and the basic anatomy we possess (e.g. humans have molars needed to crush fruits, vegetables, seeds, etc.). I believe any basically trained nutrition will tell you this; the ones that are anti-cards are typically 'nutritionists' you would encounter online you on YouTube.

Now of course, our society is riddled with unhealthy processed foods that contain very basic carbohydrates that require very little time to digest and hence increase your glycemic index to a point where your blood is saturated with sugars. For example, high fructose corn syrup used in place of more complex natural sugars you'd normally find in fruits. This sort of thing either leads to pancreatic exhaustion or insulin resistance, it's common sense.

My stance is that too much of anything is bad for you. I'm not a nutritionist but I do have a degree in biology, I work out, and I am not fat. Avoid processed foods as much as possible (e.g. American cheese, mechanically separated meat products, etc.), and eat everything in moderation - that is, don't take sides by saying I will only eat from this food group and totally avoid that one.
ongiri Author
wrote...
A month ago
It's what I always try to explain to people. they are like "I am going to diet so I'm going to cut carbs".

And I am like

Until 2019 I tried paying nutritionists and I got very few results. I go to the gym regularly, and I decided to study for myself. I started to get more results on my own that with a nutritionist. Obviously I know very little but I experimented and I found out that if I do not eat carbs regularly I start to shut down.

For example I tried not eating my usual 100g of carbs at lunch, and I felt like I was devastated.

I usually have pancakes in the morning (healthy ones) made with egg white, oat flour and yoghurt. Then I have 100g rice at lunch and same at dinner, or flat bread that I make at home, no store bought crap.

With only that 100g deduction I started to feel like crap.

I had a discussion with a nutritionist and explained what I think. The response was that unfortunately people is bombarded with this ideology of evil carbs and they want results with low effort. So the solution is, cut carbs and they will lose weight and be happy.

But from my point of view, you are actively harming your patient if you do not explain how things works, and only try to make them happy.

I hope to be able to achieve my goal of becoming a nutritionist, at least I can do a proper job and try to mitigate the crap that is online.
wrote...
Educator
A month ago
You'll find that a lot of athletes do cut carbs successfully by replacing them with protein-filled meals. Protein is extremely filling, and takes a long time to digest. For example, I had a four ounce (maybe more?) barbequed steak the other day without any sides; I had it at seven in the evening. It literally kept me satiated until the next morning. In comparison, the day prior I had a grilled cheese sandwich at nine in the evening (high in carbs and fat, relatively speaking), and it barely did a thing to satisfy my hunger, I went to bed hungry shortly after.

You're bound to feel hypoglycemic if you cut carbs immediately, it's definitely a recipe for disaster and a diet set for failure from the onset. I certainly hope nutritionists give sounder advice than that Grinning Face with Smiling Eyes

Good luck!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  981 People Browsing
Gallery

Your Opinion
What's your favorite math subject?
Votes: 315