G
f
a
d
c
lisa142 lisa142
wrote...
13 years ago
How do you find the hill number (nH) and  minimum number of subunits in a hill plot graph? Can you give me like an example to show me it? Thnks!
Read 2222 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
Hey, could you provide some sort of example of what you're referring to.
wrote...
Staff Member
13 years ago
It's the slope...

In hill plots, the cooperative binding to multiple sites is nH < n. The graph shows Hill plots for the two examples below:

The noncooperative binding of ligand (blue) has a Hill coefficient, nH = 1.0.
The cooperative binding of ligand (red) has a Hill coefficient, nH = 1.8 (the maximum slope on the Hill plot).
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
lisa142 Author
wrote...
13 years ago
For example, from the table,

I find p50 to be about 71 but what would the nH be? Please really show me how to get this. I'm stuck getting the fact nH would be the max slope. I keep getting different numbers for each of the points I try.  Need to know this for my test....
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
wrote...
Staff Member
13 years ago
For example, from the table,

I find p50 to be about 71 but what would the nH be? Please really show me how to get this. I'm stuck getting the fact nH would be the max slope. I keep getting different numbers for each of the points I try.  Need to know this for my test....

I thought you simply use the formula (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1) = the slope. Since it's a linear relationship, you shouldn't get much deviation from one point to the next.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  942 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 419

Previous poll results: Who's your favorite biologist?