t
m
p
m
seniastardust seniastardust
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
If I have the chance, should I attend a Medical School in the Caribbean or do a Masters in Canada?
I've always wanted to be a doctor and I cannot dream of doing anything else, but it is extremely competitive here and I might not get accepted in Canada. I can however do a Masters and then a PhD but I feel teaching is not for me, and I might not enjoy it as much.
The masters would be in biology (not sure which in specific because I'm only in 3rd year --probably cell/molecular biology), at a University in Ontario (McMaster or University of Western Ontario). As for med school in the Caribbean, I was considering ROSS, St.George or SABA.
Read 470 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
MD's in the caribbean may not be transferable, a masters is... but what us the masters in and which uni... I need more info...
wrote...
11 years ago
I have been told by friends applying to medical school that the Caribbean medical schools have a VERY bad reputation and that it is incredibly difficult to get a residency once you graduate. If you haven't looked into DO schools (osteopathy) you may want to consider that route, in the US/Canada it is basically equivalent but there is some difference with perceived prestige. Ultimately DOs and MDs complete the same residency training, though, so it really shouldn't matter. Also consider dentistry, podiatry, or pharmacy schools.

Keep in mind that in most biological sciences Chemistry/Biochemistry/Biology/etc. you need a Ph.D to do most things. Teaching isn't a completely required part of being a Ph.D, although during your training you will probably teach classes. You'll also need to be dedicated, at least to some extent, to research...because that is all you will be doing for the 4-6 years it takes to complete a Ph.D...and in the years afterward, to obtain tenure/professorships.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1017 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion