r
d
l
a
julibyrd julibyrd
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
I have an associates degree in early childhood education but, after having my own kids I realize this isn't something I would like to do with my life.  

I was looking into getting a bachelor?s degree in either psychology or social science.  The classes seem very interesting and I think I would really love any job having to do with what I have learned.  However, I have no clue [other then being a  psychologist] what a degree in either would really do for me.  I would love to have a job where I help people.  Not so much help people be sane but something having to do with social work.

Could someone please explain what kind of jobs a psychology or social science degree would get me?  What kind of work would I be able to do?

Thanks!
Read 913 times
6 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
12 years ago
Do you want fries with that ??
wrote...
12 years ago
Probably some counseling positions will accept these degrees, however, one thing to keep in mind is Psychology is the 2nd most popular major in the U.S after business and competition is fierce.
wrote...
12 years ago
a bachelor's is psych is useless you need  at least a masters to get a job.  a social work degree which you take many social science classes will get you ( guess ) a social work job. Social work jobs are not just child and family services. You can work  in hospitals, nursing homes, school social workers, adoption agencies, retirement homes as a service coordinator (not the same as activity director) and the list goes on and on
If you are interested in psych you can take a minor in it just for your interest
OAK
wrote...
12 years ago
Your best bet would be to get a Bachelor in Social Work (BSW).  This is a far more practical degree than a BA in psych or social science.  It is a entry level professional degree that qualifies you to work in almost all entry level positions.  It also allows you to apply for advanced standing for an MSW (thereby saving you a year).  DA
wrote...
12 years ago
To do anything in psychology you'll have to have at least a masters degree but you'll really need to have a doctorate degree to make good money and have the type of job that you want.  Which means you'll have to go to grad school. Which means no more online classes. Which means you'll have to go to school (on campus) full time and do 30-40 hr per week internships in an agency (unpaid). Add on top of that about 30 hours per week spent on reading, homework, 20-30 page research papers, etc while you are at home. For 4 years. Which means your kids will have to be put in daycare. Like you've said before- children come first and grad school comes last. Unless you want your kids in daycare ALL day you either need to forget about college or you'll have to wait until they are in school full time. But even in the summer you'll have internships and classes and they'll have to be put in daycare. You can't take summers off in grad school- once you start, you have a track that you have to follow with the rest of your cohort. So you might need to wait until they are in high school before you pursue your dreams. Sorry- just giving you your own advice.

If you go the social worker route you'll just need a masters degree to be a clinical social worker. But thats still 2 years of grad school.
wrote...
12 years ago
Social workers and psychologists can work in mental health, the school system, law enforcement, private industry, health and welfare, almost any where you might think. Both are wide open. You can write, counsel, consult. Your options are almost limitless as well as your income.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1134 People Browsing
 142 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 370