a
t
i
r
Illuminatus Illuminatus
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
11 years ago
I was mostly just wondering, dtailed answers are appreciated. But as always, all answers are appreciated.
Once I had hot water in a stainless steel thermos flask and it was still hot 2 days later, I was wondering why.
Read 880 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
There's a gap in between the two layers.  It's at a vacuum so there's no conduction or convection heat transfer across the void.  The only way it can get out is through radiant heat transfer and the stainless steel reflects some of that heat back in.
wrote...
11 years ago
it's because it's a vacuum flask, you have two stainless steel flasks welded together with only a vacuum between, a vacuum is a very poor conductor of heat so it's a very good insulator

http://home.howstuffworks.com/thermos2.htm
wrote...
11 years ago
The insolation around it.
wrote...
11 years ago
its not really the stainless steel material that cause it to stay hot.  SS is used for thermos because it doesn't rust.  and since it is kinda of lustrous, it reflects heat.  same thing would happen if you use glass inside the thermos.  its really the gap or air between the inner container and the outer cover that acts as insulation to prevent heat from escaping.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1324 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352