a
t
i
r
illsternog illsternog
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I recently found a flask of mine and it has what appears to be mold in it I would like to use more but can't seem to get all the mold out of it. It has never had anything but sweet tea in it as a joke to trick my parents. And I evidently didn't dry it out all the way after it's use.
Just to clear things up this is an 8oz hip flask not a thermos just FYI
Read 726 times
8 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
I would use some baby bottle steriliser on it , just fill it up and leave for half an hour then use bottle brush to make sure you have it all
wrote...
11 years ago
Fill it 1/2 way with vinegar (white) and to the top with hot water let it sit for 24 hours then scrub it clean.
wrote...
11 years ago
First try using an anti-mold, that should remove the mold. To keep all your stainless steel appliance looking shiny and new, apply some cream Jiff ( or something similar) and rub very well with a cloth, then rinse well with water. ?f you apply this to all your stainless steel appliance it will always stay shiny and it will never have those little stains that look like a rainbow or white funny stains.
wrote...
11 years ago
I would use what I do on my thermos bottles, ice chests and virtually anything I put food or drink in to make it like new. I use a small amount of vinyl pool shock, fill with water and let it sit overnight. The chlorine will kill virtually everything and rinse out completely. There's never a residual taste and it's about as safe as it gets as most drinking water is treated with chlorine. If you can't get pool shock, pure chlorine bleach will do.
wrote...
11 years ago
i would have a look at stainless steel cleaner if the in side is stainless steel something like http://www.steelcleaner.com this product is called quickleen-s it food safe and cleans pretty fast removing discolorations. our visit http://www.quickleen.co.uk
wrote...
11 years ago
Use baby bottle steriliser. But when I had this problem it was with a full size thermos flask. I filled it to within an inch of the top, then topped it up with ordinary household bleach. I left it to soak overnight and Bingo! Problem solved. You'll need to give it a good rinse out though once you empty out the bleach water.
wrote...
11 years ago
Stainless steel Thermos flasks have become an indispensable part of modern life. They keep our coffee hot while we're on the go, keep our children's juice fresh at school, tote lemonade to the beach in summer and keep hot chocolate warm during Christmas tree hunting expeditions. With all the use they see, they can get pretty grungy and occasionally harbor the odors of eggnogs past. Regular cleanings will keep your Thermos looking and smelling fresh and ensure that your little angel's fruit punch doesn't taste like stale coffee.

Step 1

Discard any liquid left in your Thermos and give it a quick rinse, pouring the water out of the opening from which you usually drink. Disassemble your Thermos flask, removing the top and any other removable parts on your model.

Step 2

Wash the body of the Thermos inside and out with a wet washcloth and a dab of dishwashing detergent, and rinse well. Never immerse the insulated part of the Thermos in water or put it in the dishwasher--water could seep in through the seams and ruin the Thermos. Avoid using abrasive pads or cleansers that could dull the stainless steel finish.

Step 3

Wash the Thermos lid with hot water and dishwashing detergent, using a nipple brush to get gunk out of the crevices. If there is a lot of buildup on the lid, allow it to soak in hot, soapy water.

Step 4

Remove odors and lingering tastes by washing the flask and lid with vinegar, then washing them again with soap and water. Scrubbing the inside of the flash gently with damp baking soda is an even more effective way to remove lingering smells and tastes, but doing so can dull the stainless steel finish.
wrote...
11 years ago
white vinegar will kill the bad stuff in the mold

CLR from your local hard wear store will remove excess scale and stains..but follow directions carefully and rinse very VERY well!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1278 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who's your favorite biologist?
Votes: 586