t
i
r
r
rlcdiver rlcdiver
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I need to know which is a polar molecule and which a nonpolar molecule and why.
Read 826 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
co2, nonpolar covalent
water polar covalent
i'll explain why

okay, if you know anything about atomic structures, you know that carbon has 4 valence electrons. so in an electron dot diagram it looks like

.C.   right?

and Oxygen has 6 valence electrons so it looks something like this
.O:  right?

so when the carbon and two oxygens combine, they form two double bonds and make C02. double bonds are very stiff and make the molecule have a symmetrical, nonpolar shape

water, on the other hand, is H20 and has simply two hydrogens each with one valence electron
H

so when it combines with an oxygen, it combines normally and has no double bonds to form an 8 electron outer shell.
wrote...
11 years ago
water is a polar bond
wrote...
11 years ago
wateris polor b/c the electrons aren't shared equaly
wrote...
11 years ago
You are confusing two things. Both molecules have polar covalent bonds, but in the case of carbon dioxide the bond dipoles cancel out, because the molecule is linear, so the molecule as a whole does not have a dipole moment.
wrote...
11 years ago
water is a polar molecule. The reason is that the hydrogen atoms and oxygen atoms give of a slight electrical charge (opposite for the hydrogen and oxygen) the attract other h2o molecules. This means h2 attracts o from other molecules. This is what happens when you see beads of water. They are a bunch of polarly charged molecules attracted to one another
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1391 People Browsing
 107 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4

Previous poll results: Where do you get your textbooks?