S
m
s
nyno2010 nyno2010
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
its on my study guide.
-Use Coulomb's Law to find an unknown force between particles. Know whether the particles attract or repel and how changing the distance between charges affects the force.
^I've missed a lot of class lately and so I'm just confused. explain please? THANK YOUU!
Read 505 times
2 Replies
Replies
Answer accepted by topic starter
nynkhnynkh
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 190 words.

Related Topics

wrote...
11 years ago
Coulomb's Law is easy. It is

F = -KQq/r^2

where f is the force, K is the electrostatic constant (8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2), Q and q are two point charges, and r is the distance between them. Q and q can be positive or negative. If they have the same sign, the electrostatic force between them is repulsive. If they have opposite signs, the force is attractive. Fundamentally, Coulomb's Law is an inverse-square law (1/r^2 or r^-2), so at twice the distance from each other (than some arbitrary reference distance) the magnitude of the force is 1/4 as strong, at 3x the distance the force is 1/9th as strong, at 4x it's 1/16th, and so on.

Importantly, sometimes Coulomb's Law is written as F = -(Qq) / (4(pi)(epsilon0)r^2), where epsilon0 (I dunno how to put Greek letters on this otherwise I would) is the permittivity constant and is 8.85 x 10^-12 C^2/Nm^2.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  784 People Browsing
 110 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 308