× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
1023ersin 1023ersin
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago

I am just having 2nd thoughts. Should I quit a job I enjoy doing and follow my dream of becoming a doctor? I make good money now. But it is not about money. It never was. It's about never quitting on a dream. But maybe I am too old for chasing dreams.
Read 758 times
8 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
8 years of medical school? you will be 45 when you're a Doctor.
When are you going to retire? How long are you going to be a Doctor for?
wrote...
11 years ago
You will be the same age whether you go to medical school or not; so you might as well go. Follow your dream.
wrote...
11 years ago
sometime back i saw an article in the newspaper about a woman who graduated from medical school.... at the age of 68!

i think it's WONDERFUL that you're considering following your dream!  don't let your age stop you... by the time you're done your internship, residency, and fellowship, you'll still have a good 20 or 25 working years ahead of you!  the fact that you're NOT in it for money gives a good indication of the kind of doctor you'll become.  the kind i'd want caring for me & mine, hands down.  you'll bring a level of compassion and maturity to the medicine you practice that is entirely too rare with today's breed of impatient, young whippersnappers med schools are churning out.  plus, i think you'll find you're not the only one your age in medical school.  you are NOT too old to chase a dream.

if this is what you want, GO FOR IT!

we, the people, need practitioners like you!
wrote...
11 years ago
So later you'll be younger? How's that work? I had several classmates about your age.
wrote...
11 years ago
If it will satisfy your intellectual needs, go for it.  Otherwise, you'll regret it.

It's not an easy path, but worthwhile things are rarely easy.

Best of luck.
wrote...
11 years ago
My anatomy lab partner was 37 when we started. need I say more?
wrote...
11 years ago
I know a 36 year old man who will enter med school this September. W. Larimer Mellon, scion of the bank fortune, was in his mid-thirties when he went to medical school. He later founded a hospital in the Haitian Artibonite valley, still going strong after his death. Similarly, Dr. Gustav Rau, son of a wealthy auto-parts owner in Germany, was older when he entered medical school. He did tremendous charitable work in Africa, I believe. Go for the dream.
wrote...
11 years ago
Do you have the emotional and physical stamina to deal with sick and dying people?
Do you have a specific medical interest already?
Can you afford to be broke for the next four to six years?
If you have to take loans, can you live with the level of debt you will have to incur, and the costs of setting up a practice, malpractice insurance, AND whatever family obligations you might have?
Do you have a spouse or significant other who is fully on board?
Do you like to work almost all the time?
If the answers are yes, then absolutely do it.
If you are instead looking for perceived high prestige, having people listen to your opinion, wealth, or the "trappings" of medicine, then don't do it.
It's great to make an investment in yourself - just make sure it's a sound investment!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1275 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 741