× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
dsimpson1990 dsimpson1990
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
what are the differences between sodium chloride and glucose when it comes to osmosis, i know that the concentration needed to become isotonic with potato cells is higher for glucose that sodium chloride but i don't know why, and I need some other differences between the two. Thank you  Slight Smile
Read 1195 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Donated
Valued Member
12 years ago
When it comes to glucose, potato contains a lot of starch already. Wait, are both salt and glucose permeable through the potato cell membrane?
dsimpson1990 Author
wrote...
12 years ago
i don't know  Neutral Face we carried out an experiment on cylinders of potato using NaCl solution and a glucose solution and the NaCl soultion became isotonic with the potato cells at about 02 moles and the glucose at about 0.4 moles, that's all I really know.
wrote...
Donated
Valued Member
12 years ago
Isotonic means that the solute outside and the solute inside are the same. So if you add more glucose (>0.4), then the solute outside will be hypertonic to what's inside the potato and in that case, water would be released from the potato, making it shrink. If you added more that 0.2 of salt, the outside would also become hypertonic to the potato, making the potato lose some water to balance out the differences.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1276 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 431