a
t
i
r
r
oemBiology oemBiology
wrote...
7 years ago
In order to keep teeth and gum healthy, we need to properly remove dental plaque everyday.
If dental plaque does not remove properly, it would create tartar and make gum recession.
Is there any effective - practical and easy way to do it?

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Dental plaque is a biofilm or mass of bacteria that grows on surfaces within the mouth. It is a sticky colorless deposit at first, but when it forms tartar, it is often brown or pale yellow. It is commonly found between the teeth, on the front of teeth, behind teeth, on chewing surfaces, along the gumline, or below the gumline cervical margins.[1] Dental plaque is also known as microbial plaque, oral biofilm, dental biofilm, dental plaque biofilm or bacterial plaque biofilm.[1] While plaque is commonly associated with oral diseases such as dental caries (cavities) and periodontal diseases (gum diseases), its formation is a normal process that cannot be prevented.

Ref : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dental_plaque

One of suggestion : practical + easy approach
Sonic toothbrush can only clean on tooth surface, not the gum or between teeth.
Read 443 times
11 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
7 years ago
The only effective way to remove plaque is to scrap it off or prevent it from happening.

I've used the sonic brush, and it's not an effective way to remove plaque, at least for me it was not.

You need to physically get it off your teeth.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
7 years ago
Could you please tell me how to remove plaque effectively? which is better than sonic brush.

It must be practical and easy, so I would do it everyday.

Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you very much for any suggestions :>
wrote...
Educator
7 years ago
I'd say the best way is to go to a dentist and have them scrape it off professionally. They use tools that look like this:

Otherwise you may have to floss and brush 3-times a day using an electrical brush 2 minutes every time. While this is an excellent way to maintain your teeth and healthy gums, a dental hygienist will do the best job

oemBiology Author
wrote...
7 years ago Edited: 7 years ago, oem7110
I go to a dentist once per year, would it be enough?

For 3-times a day, when would be the best time to brush teeth?

Do water flosser help on removing plaque?
Have you get any experience with water flosser? Does it help?

wrote...
Educator
7 years ago
Once per year is fine.

You need to brush when you wake up and at night. Once throughout the day after eating a meal containing meat.

I have a water flosser and home and it's useless. It's weak and very messy to use. Normal flossing is *way* better. Do not waste your money on one.

oemBiology Author
wrote...
7 years ago
Once per year is fine.

You need to brush when you wake up and at night. Once throughout the day after eating a meal containing meat.

I have a water flosser and home and it's useless. It's weak and very messy to use. Normal flossing is *way* better. Do not waste your money on one.

Should I brush teeth after meal containing meat immediately?
Would enamel be softer just after meal?  and should I wait at least a hour or more before brushing teeth?

I find that sonic brush (easy to apply) is much easier to remove plaque on teeth's surface than flossing (hard to control), Is the purpose of normal flossing is to remove plaque between teeth and gum - teeth area. since sonic brush cannot reach the surface below the gum and between teeth.

wrote...
Educator
7 years ago
Timing isn't the issue - whether it is done immediately or an hour later. The exact timing isn't settled. Enamel strength weakens over time, no one can really say it will weaken from meal to meal. What weakens it is poor dental hygiene. The purpose of flossing is really fairly straightforward: It is used to clean out the gaps between your teeth. It's not designed to remove plaque, only scraping will remove plaque since it's very hard material that bacteria produce. This includes calculus or tartar too.

Do you own a sonic brush?
oemBiology Author
wrote...
Timing isn't the issue - whether it is done immediately or an hour later. The exact timing isn't settled. Enamel strength weakens over time, no one can really say it will weaken from meal to meal. What weakens it is poor dental hygiene. The purpose of flossing is really fairly straightforward: It is used to clean out the gaps between your teeth. It's not designed to remove plaque, only scraping will remove plaque since it's very hard material that bacteria produce. This includes calculus or tartar too.

Do you own a sonic brush?

My friend told me that it is better not brush tooth after meal, since acid would make enamel softer and easier to get thinner enamel during brushing teeth at this moment. It is better to wait a period of time until less acidic within mouth before brushing teeth. Would it be correct?

I have sonic Toothbrush, which is not expensive on following video, but the cost of Toothbrush head replacement is 2 - 3 times higher than traditional Toothbrush. I just brush my teeth, and feel clean and smooth on teeth's surface, this quality of clearance cannot be achieved with traditional Toothbrush.

Post Merge: 7 years ago

But Sonic Toothbrush is not perfect, even through my teeth is brushed properly, sometimes teeth's surface is still be felt like a sand paper by tongue, if I use my fingernail to scratch the surface, dental plaque can still be found, it seems that I needs to clean dental plaque in all my life.
Post Merge: 7 years ago

Why is there no advance technology to solve this problem on daily life?
wrote...
Educator
7 years ago
My friend told me that it is better not brush tooth after meal, since acid would make enamel softer and easier to get thinner enamel during brushing teeth at this moment. It is better to wait a period of time until less acidic within mouth before brushing teeth. Would it be correct?

Acid from the food would make the enamel softer? Absolutely, hence when it's best to rid your mouth of it immediately. However, I will say that there is no scientifically settled time that suggests when you should or shouldn't brush your teeth. Our ancestors went without ever brushing their teeth - they're designed to withstand a little bit of acid.

The brush demonstrated in that video isn't anything special. All it does it vibrate. I have used something like that, there are better alternatives, I think. The feeling of clean isn't an indication that your your whole mouth is clean. You should brush for at least 2 minutes regardless of that feeling of cleanliness.

The Oral B spin 1000 is byfar the best. In addition, weekly sodium fluoride mouth wash.

oemBiology Author
wrote...

You should brush for at least 2 minutes regardless of that feeling of cleanliness.

The Oral B spin 1000 is byfar the best. In addition, weekly sodium fluoride mouth wash.

I would like to know on whether I should brush tooth (each individual tooth 2 minutes, then 32 teeth = 64 minutes) or teeth (each individual tooth 3.75 second, then 32 teeth = 2 minutes).
Furthermore, what is the different function of sodium fluoride mouth wash comparing with Thymol Compound Gargle Mouthwash?

wrote...
Educator
7 years ago
I'd suggest: 2 minutes your whole mouth, including your gums.

Flouride is known to remineralize teeth, but don't over do it, it's could have the reverse effect.

Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1252 People Browsing
 122 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 741