× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
Binah Binah
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
So this is very simple: I made injections of 1 engineered chromosome into Bl6 blastocysts, and I got my chimeras. I will next check for germline transmission on males, but my question is, does chimeric sperm also contain the Bl6 genetic background, or is it only derived from the engineered stem cells I used in the injections? From what I have read spermlines are derived from a handful of cells, but I'm not sure whether recombination occurs or the similar.

Thanks
Read 1096 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
12 years ago
It gets passed on to the progeny, so it does contain the engineered chromosome.

- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Binah Author
wrote...
12 years ago
Thanks for your reply duddy, but once again, is sperm completely from the engineered ES cells, or does it contain Bl6 DNA? That's my question. I know the engineered chromosome is passed onto progeny, but not sure about the background.
wrote...
Staff Member
12 years ago
Thanks for your reply duddy, but once again, is sperm completely from the engineered ES cells, or does it contain Bl6 DNA?

Of course, however, due to epigenetics, genes found on that chromosome may be turned off in certain regions of the body. So, the spermatogenic cells inside the seminiferous tubules do contain the chromosome, so it is a combination.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1212 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 741