a
t
i
r
lobster171 lobster171
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
Okey I have been assigned a animal. I got the dog it´s not the same kind as it is today. It´s more like a wolf. The dog is a scavenger and need to live near waterholes and down on the ground(not in the mountains where the air is thin). So this dog was like living betwen a rainforest and a steppe like where they cross in that kind of environment. But now 50 million years later I´m at my biology lab and I get a call from some archaeologist and they told me they have found the same specie of the dog in the mountain where there are very thin air and far between the waterholes. So I took a look at the bones and saw that there was some hemoglobin and vasopressin in their DNA. So somehow those 2 amino acids have envolved the dog and made it survive in the hostile environment. How is this possible? I have to look at this in a genetic way not an evolutionary way. As wide and long explanation as possible would be great. Thank you guys!
Read 579 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
Hemoglobin is used to transfer oxygen around the blood. Vasopressin has two primary functions are to retain water in the body and to constrict blood vessels. Vasopressin regulates the body's retention of water by acting to increase water absorption in the collecting ducts of the kidney nephron.

Your job is to find out why they co-evolved?
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
lobster171 Author
wrote...
10 years ago Edited: 10 years ago, lobster171
Yes and also how it's possible. For example it's possible because there was an extra amino acid in the copy of the first dna or something like that. Thanks
Post Merge: 10 years ago

Forgot to say that there is no ¨right¨ answer as long as you explain how you think
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
"very thin air and far between the waterholes."

This point of the story is important. The amount of haemoglobin in blood increases at high altitude. This is one of the best-known features of acclimatisation (acclimation) to high altitude. Increasing the amount of haemoglobin in the blood increases the amount of oxygen that can be carried. However, there is a downside: when there is too much haemoglobin, blood becomes sticky and viscous and it is harder for the heart to pump the blood around the body. This happens in chronic mountain sickness. Perhaps the vasopressin would be the missing piece of the puzzle. By retaining water inside the bloodstream, it would prevent this 'chronic mountain sickness' in this species of canine.

Not sure if this is right, but it's my humble hypothesis.

GL
Tralalalala Slight Smile
lobster171 Author
wrote...
10 years ago
That's great thanks alot!
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
NP
Tralalalala Slight Smile
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1259 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352