d
c
r
e
Curious Curious
wrote...
3 years ago
Hi friends,

So, mammalian females have two X chromosomes and it is said one remains "unactive" in the condensed form known as Barr body. But I've read many times that illnesses such as Haemophilia do not affect heterocygotic females because they have a "healthy X chromosome that neutralizes the activity of the ill chromosome", implying that in fact both X chromosomes are active... Could someone clarify this to me?

Thank u so much!
Read 162 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Excellent question. From this article:

With the “all-or-none” molecular nature of X-inactivation, a female heterozygote with an X-linked mutation has ~50% of her cells producing only the mutant X-linked gene product and ~50% of her cells producing only the wild-type product although “escape” can occur (see below). By contrast, every cell in a female heterozygote with an autosomal mutation transcribes both chromosome copies, such that each cell will have a 50% dose of wild-type gene product. Despite the fact that about half of the cells of X-linked heterozygotes express only the mutant gene, female heterozygotes of X-chromosome mutations can display reduced disease penetrance and/or severity compared with hemizygous males, indicating that the cells expressing the wild-type gene can provide protection against the disease.

If you need help interpreting this further, let me know!
Source  https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022202X15337064
wrote...
3 years ago
Excellent question. From this article:
With the “all-or-none” molecular nature of X-inactivation, a female heterozygote with an X-linked mutation has ~50% of her cells producing only the mutant X-linked gene product and ~50% of her cells producing only the wild-type product although “escape” can occur (see below). By contrast, every cell in a female heterozygote with an autosomal mutation transcribes both chromosome copies, such that each cell will have a 50% dose of wild-type gene product. Despite the fact that about half of the cells of X-linked heterozygotes express only the mutant gene, female heterozygotes of X-chromosome mutations can display reduced disease penetrance and/or severity compared with hemizygous males, indicating that the cells expressing the wild-type gene can provide protection against the disease.
If you need help interpreting this further, let me know!

Oh! So inactivation of one X chromosome happens independently in each cell of the organism and not in a coordinated manner in the whole organism, and so some cells might have the ill chromosome inactivated, while some others might have the wild one, resulting in the heterocygote always having a healthy chromosome working in many of the cells which grants a layer of protection against the illness.

That makes sense. Thank you very much!
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
In my 10 years of teaching biology, it's the first time I come across this question. I ended up sharing it on our Twitter and Facebook page, thought it was neat.

Good work 👍
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1058 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 824