× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
poklonik poklonik
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
hey, if anyone knows for sure or had any experience in going to a medical school in the Caribbean...

are they a good alternative if I dont have money for a U.S. based medical school and dont want to pay off my loans for the rest of my life and am not as good enough of a student to get a nice scholarship.

ALSO what happens after you graduate from their school, Would you be able to do your residency and then work in the U.S. as a doctor? plastic surgeon or opthamologist or maybe just a physician?

If you dont know for sure dont answer please. THANKS>
Read 496 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
12 years ago
Many Caribbean programs are structured to meet the standards for medical practice in the United States. In fact, a vast majority of Caribbean students are Americans and Canadians who intend to practice in the US and Canada. Many programs keep students on campus for the first two or three years, then send them back to the US (or internationally) to do their rotations in university-affiliated hospitals. After you complete the program, you take the USMLE like everyone else who wants to practice in the US. As long as you place well on the boards, you can have your pick of residency programs.

http://www.sgu.edu St. George University in Grenada
http://www.rossmed.edu Ross University
wrote...
12 years ago
If you want to become a plastic surgeon, by no means should you go to a Caribbean school.  The field is hard enough to get into from a US school.  Only the top students can get a residency for plastic surgery, and they'd probably laugh when they saw your transcript from there when they're getting top recruits from schools like georgetown.  Think about it.  Would you trust your health with someone from a Caribbean school when you could go down the street to someone from a more accredited US school?
wrote...
12 years ago
I am thinking about doing the exact same thing.  One day it dawned on me that Puerto Rico is an American commonwealth, so after doing some research I learned that the University of Puerto Rico Recinto Rio Piedras is an AMA-accredited school and the best-rated Med school in the Caribbean and most of Latin America.  The people that I talk to tell me that just about every single one of their classes is taught in English by an American doctor.  I know a few people that graduated from there and they all run very successful practices here in the states.  

I don't believe the people that say that you will never be accepted to do residency if you go to a Caribbean school.  You will be getting a bicultural, bilingual education.  Any residency program would be stupid to pass that up.  

But the biggest perk for me would be the price.  Check the tuition rates on their website - around $10,000 per year if I'm not mistaken... FOR OUT OF STATE STUDENTS!!!!!!!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1209 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who's your favorite biologist?
Votes: 586