t
i
r
r
o2blea o2blea
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
11 years ago
I am hoping to eventually become a lawyer. However, it is simply not possible for me to spend the next 4-6 years working on all of the requirements. Basically, I am looking for a good Undergraduate Degree that will both prepare me for Law School in the future AND provide good job opportunities for me until I can pursue my dream of becoming a lawyer.

I have been looking at a Bachelors of Science degree in Political Science: Legal Studies. If you know what jobs exactly this would qualify me for, please share! Also, if you have any other suggestions for Undergraduate Degrees that could provide good-paying job opportunities for me AND prepare me for Law School, please share those as well!!!

I will choose the most helpful answer!
Read 760 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
You need to talk to an advisor or counselor at your local college. Don't trust RANDOM people online with major decisions in your life.

There is absolutely NO guarantee that professionals answer questions posted on Y!Abswers.
wrote...
11 years ago
Stay far away from Legal Studies.  It is useless for law school - it won't prepare you well and it is not respected by law schools.  You can major in anything and attend law school, but law schools prefer traditional majors, so no "criminal justice" and no "legal studies."  In addition, legal studies majors statistically score the lowest on the LSAT of any major.

In addition, it is useless for obtaining jobs after you graduate.  In theory a paralegal position may be open to you, but you'll be competing against people with paralegal degrees, which are much more targeted and thus more valuable to employers.  Non-legal employers generally won't consider you because you've already signaled that your interest and skill set is in law.

Choose a traditional major that interests you and that you'll do well in.  Focus on courses in logical reasoning (usually math & hard science courses) and courses that require extensive writing (20-40 page papers) as you'll need these skills for law school.  Your major should also be one that gives you some good options if law school doesn't work out.

Personally, I see economics as the best pre-law major (it has an added bonus of being the top non-engineering major in terms of salary after graduation) but any traditional major will be just fine.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1373 People Browsing
 127 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 431

Previous poll results: Do you believe in global warming?