× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
lgmukan lgmukan
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
It's been a while since I've been back in the profession and going back.  Obviously, one of these questions is wrong on this open book test.  Anyone know and why your answer is right so I will be aware in the future?

Which is an incorrect order for insulin?

A.  5 units Humulin R subcutaneously now.
B.  10 units Humulin R subcutaneously every AM.
C.  30 units Humulin N subcutaneously every AM.
D.  60 units Humulin R subcutaneously now.
I think you're right MS3.  Your answer was my first impression and now that I recall, a sliding scale doesn't even allow 60 units!  If someone needed that much insulin they probably need to be on an IV drip cause their blood glucose would be well over 350 minimum.  Its been 2 years since Ive been out of nursing and going back.  It will all come back to me.  Thanks for your help!
Read 815 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
um, 60 units of regular insulin would make my blood glucose about....12.     Better give that with a couple of Krispy Kremes.
wrote...
11 years ago
can't say for sure why any are wrong  60 is a huge dose for R, and it's not so likely to order 10 units R every morning but is not unheard of. will be interested to see which is wrong
wrote...
11 years ago
Many type 2's take 60+ units at a time.

When I was pregnant I was taking over 300+ units a day.

So you see, it is not unheard of.
zzz
wrote...
11 years ago
I have never heard of anyone giving 60 units of R at any one dose.
I have ordered ordered that much total only in  several doses (ten at a time)in a severe emergency.
The others are ordinary doses.
Old Doc
wrote...
11 years ago
60 units Humulin R  is wrong. Even on a sliding scale I've only ever given 15 units. If a patient needs that much, they need an insulin drip.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  911 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 274