t
m
p
m
Illo_88 Illo_88
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
11 years ago
i don't get what you do with the parenthesis.  I also dont really get how you know how many of each element are in each formula.

Also i get how you name covalent bonds, but how do you tell the difference between the 2 when all you see is the formula.
Read 218 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
I'm assuming you are wondering about a name like nickel (II) chloride or iron (III) oxide. The number in parantheses tells you the oxidation state of the transition metal atom, which is also equal to the number of electrons it has given up to form an ion.  So the Ni (II) is actually the Ni++ ion, and the Fe (III) is actually the Fe+++ ion.

As for covalent and ionic bonds, this is mainly memory work. You will have to learn and remember how well different atoms either give up or accept electrons to form ions and decide from that whether a bond is covalent or ionic. It is a gebneral rule that the more strongly an atom can give up or accept electrons the more ionic is the bond between them.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  896 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which of the following is the best resource to supplement your studies:
Votes: 292

Previous poll results: Who's your favorite biologist?