a
t
i
r
nursemama0729 nursemama0729
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I am a senior in high school and I applied to Juilliard.
I am a singer and actress and it is my dream to go there.
But my another dream of mine is to be a doctor.
So is it possible to graduate from a fine arts school like Julliard and then get accepted into medical school and become a doctor?
Read 646 times
8 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
how about you figure out where your most invested in with yourself. maybe you could do juliard then take a paremedic program to see if being a doc is for you. these usually take about eight weeks.then you also have something to fall back on. and you haven't lost all that extra money in med school to find out it wasn't for you. peace!
wrote...
11 years ago
No medical school will accept you.
wrote...
11 years ago
Yes, undergraduate studies in medical related fields are recommended but not necessary, many students have majored in music, art or other things and gone on to medical school. What you DO have to do is score high on your MCAT, keep your GPA high and demonstrate to the school your applying to that you are competent in medical studies. Also, a certain dergee of pre-requisite courses are required for entry, so you might want to see if Juliard offers them.
wrote...
11 years ago
Yes but you would have to do a Post-Bac program in pre-med.  This would take about one and a half to two years to complete beyond Julliard.  The pre-med classes are indespensible in laying the foundation you would need in order to do decently on the MCATS and succeed in Med School.  
You might want to consider going to a traditional college with strong acting and/or singing program and doing a double major.  This way you would also probably be a big fish in a little pond in the area of the arts.  This could help in getting good support from faculty mentors.
wrote...
11 years ago
You might have to take some other pre-req courses for med school, but chances are if you have the test scores and pre-reqs and you get accepted to Julliard, med schools will fight over you.  Julliard is a tough school. If you get into Julliard, it would prove that you love something and can stick to it, and that you are passionate about something.  I don't think going to Julliard could hurt you in any field you try to enter.
wrote...
11 years ago
Why not! It's somewhat unconventional, but beiong conventional is no fun!
 My only concern is, will you get the required science sources there.
 I see it not as a problem, but as a problem which could be overcome.
 Good luck!
 As a patient, my only concern is, are you a good doctor, not where you did your undergrad work in.
wrote...
11 years ago
There are certain science courses you'll need to be accepted into medical school, but if you can get those (perhaps in summer schools--sorry, but I don't have a clue what might be available there), there's no reason you couldn't. In one survey done back in the mid-eighties, the major with the highest acceptance rate into medical school was music.
I'd suggest you spend some time on the AAMC website to see what medical schools are looking for. http://www.aamc.org
wrote...
11 years ago
First of all, if you want to go to the school you should learn to spell it correctly.  It's  Juilliard  

Second of all, If you want to be a doctor, go to an undergraduate school that offers both courses of study so you can get enough sciences classes in to pass your MCAT.   Not sure if a medical school will accept a BFA.  You may need a BS or BA.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1350 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion