× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
bun_tau bun_tau
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
10 years ago
I just finished my degree in Biotechnology (B.Sc.). While I await graduation in August, I am out on a job hunt. My studies involved a lot of microbiology, biochemistry, and of course biotechnology. I'm familiar with aseptic techniques, plating methods, gel electrophoresis, DNA fingerprinting, recombinant DNA technology, food microb, and a lot more. The courses available to me were industrial, environmental and food-related-- not clinical. Do I still have a chance of working in a medical lab such as at the hospital?

So far I have applied to food labs and for med rep positions, but trying to widen my options.
Read 292 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
10 years ago
Most hospitals require a certification as a Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS) or a Medical Laboratory Technologist (MLT).  Since you have a BS you can get your MLS certification (associated with a 4 yr degree as opposed to the MLT which is a 2 yr degree).  It's usually about a year to 16 month long program that's designed to be a final year in finishing your degree.  I got a degree in Biomedical Science then went into a certification program and got my second degree in MLS along with my certification.  College of American Pathologists is the overseeing body for labs and they require anyone doing moderately or highly complex testing (anything beyond a basic pregnancy test) be certified.

You might be able to get a job as a processor in a micro lab setting up plates and such, but you will not get to work a bench as a tech.

If this interests you I'd also advise you to look into getting certified in Molecular Diagnostics.  Its a really interesting field that uses latex particles coated with engineered antibodies to various analytes to test for substances in samples.  It's an incredible field and (in my opinion) where all clinical testing will eventually end up.  

Hope this helps
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1236 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite math subject?
Votes: 293

Previous poll results: Do you believe in global warming?