t
i
r
r
juju2744 juju2744
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I would like to be a MT/CLS. Does my major have to be Clinical Laboratory Sciences, or can it be biology or one of the life sciences? I am working on a bachelors but would like to go on to get my masters. So, I guess my question is, do I do my bachelors and masters in whatever subject and then go on to get my certification?
Read 335 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Since you live in the Houston area, you are in luck, call Hermann and ask for the path lab.  Ask to speak to a supervisor and pose your question.  They will be familiar with all the options in the area.  I think probably UTHSC Houston, and maybe even Baylor have programs, if not more.

Back when (I did that), you applied after 3 years biology major and received a bachelor's degree when you successfully finished the one year intensive training.  That has been over 30 years ago, so I am reluctant to give you specific advice, only options for finding out.
wrote...
11 years ago
When I did that, you got your bachelors in bio /micro/etc and the did a one year intense training where you rotated through out all the hospital lab depts.  I would skip the masters for now; it is not needed and its would add2-3 years onto your education, and you might forget some things you need for med tech.  Get the med tech and then you can work on the masters later and possibly get some tuition reimbursement.

Now you can still do it the 4 + 1 way as well as the all-included bachelors route.
wrote...
11 years ago
Major in CLS and attend an accredited med tech program so that you are eligible to take the certification exam. Just getting a BS in any science major will not be enough to be able to take the board exam.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1242 People Browsing
 122 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352