× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
zme_9325 zme_9325
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
There seems to be quite a bit of controversy over this issue. Even a university textbook on anatomy and physiology claims that meat is essential to the diet. If meat is needed, then what amino acid does it supply that you can't get elsewhere?
I should add the question of whether micronutrients or other substances in meat are essential, aside from amino acids.
Before anyone recommends soy, I would suggest searching the scientific literature for relationships between soy, cancer, and endocrine problems.
So far, I have received a couple of good answers. However, I haven't seen anyone support their thoughts with evidence; i.e., references to sources of info.
Read 173 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
10 years ago
Nutrition is a matter of absorbing the needed nutrients thru the intestine.
I think our stomach linings are designed for dissolving meat.
Essential amino acids from meat?
As compared to other sources.
In my experience--meat is better.
Invented forms of amino acids--lack the abundance that meat creates in the stomach.
Supplement forms of amino acid should be used w/meat.
wrote...
10 years ago
You need 22 specific amino acids to build the proteins found in most parts of your body, including muscles, red blood cells and immune cells. Because your body can only produce 13 amino acids on its own, you need to get the other nine from your diet. These nine are considered essential because you need them to maintain a healthy body. They are histidine, lysine, threonine, methionine, isoleucine, leucine, valine, phenylalanine and tryptophan. Although you can get amino acids from both plant- and animal-based foods, only animal protein contains all nine essential amino acids.
wrote...
10 years ago
Meat contains all 9 essential amino acids, in roughly the proportion you need. So meat is conveinient.

You can get everything you need from plant sources, though you'll need some variety to cover all the bases.

In short, meat is great for survival, because any animal you carve up should contain all you need to keep up your vital functions. When you are surrounded by very abundant veggies, you'd be better off sticking to a mostly (if not all) veggie diet. Just do some research regarding the pros and cons and specific amino content of the foods you plan to eat. For example: it isn't a good idea to dive into a "vegetarian diet" eating tofu by the fistfull, garden burgers on the weekends, and expecting to somehow be healthy.
wrote...
10 years ago
The quality of soy protein is about identical to meat. Legumes are also high quality. Dairy products readily can be substituted for meat. Meat must be cooked or tenderized for humans to digest. Meat is not essential for humans and a vegetarian diet provides all the essential amino acids (otherwise as a life-long vegetarian, I'd be dead).
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1255 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 741

Previous poll results: Who's your favorite biologist?