a
t
i
r
kq702 kq702
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
Hi, sorry if this is not the right topic but I think it is sort of a this is a general health question and relates to general biology so I think this is the best place for it.

At my work we have a cleaning tub and we dont have a water faucet nearby, the closest faucet is about 70 feet away from the tub. So to make the filling process easier we ran a clear hose along the wall, and it connects to the water faucet and runs all the way to the cleaning tub. So when we want to use the tub we connect the hose to the faucet and turn the faucet on. The water flows from the faucet into the hose and then from the hose into the cleaning tub.

Here is where my concern is- We have had the clear pipe installed for about a year, and in certain areas it has large black spots which I presume is mold. Probably formed because when we are done filling the tub with water some remaining water stays trapped inside the hose.

So I am wondering if it is dangerous to touch the water that comes out of the hose? In other words is it possible that some remaining mold spores will become airborne once the tub is emptied / dried out and can cause illness? Just wondering if this is a health risk or not. Thanks for any advise!

See attached photos
 Attached file(s) 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to these attachments.
Read 378 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
9 years ago
Good evening!

So I am wondering if it is dangerous to touch the water that comes out of the hose? In other words is it possible that some remaining mold spores will become airborne once the tub is emptied / dried out and can cause illness? Just wondering if this is a health risk or not. Thanks for any advise!

I'm assuming the mold has formed on the inside. Are you sure it's even mold? It could be a burn mark given the environment Face with Stuck-out Tongue Anyway, assuming it is mold, just as long as you don't consume the water, there aren't any dangers to using the water.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
kq702 Author
wrote...
9 years ago
Hi,Thanks for the quick reply! To clarify, yes the substance is on the inside of the tube. If is definitely not a burn mark, I am not sure it is mold but I assume it is because It is a very slimy substance and it breaks down alittle once the hot water has been running for a while.
wrote...
Staff Member
9 years ago
Sounds disgusting, then it must be mold. Personally, given the yuck factor, I would splice the tube with a cleaner one. In terms of it causing health issue, you have nothing to worry about if you plan to not drink it.
- Bachelor of Science
kq702 Author
wrote...
9 years ago
Yeah it is pretty nasty. It is a very long hose though and it has several "nasty" areas so I dont think splicing it would be a good option because it is not like just that one small area - I would say 50% of the hose has random black spots on it so if it was a danger I think I would suggest we replace the entire hose. But since it is no health risk I am not gonna worry about it. Don't worry I don't plan on drinking from it!

Thanks for the reply

wrote...
Staff Member
9 years ago
You're very welcome, good choice.
- Bachelor of Science
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1346 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4