× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
oemBiology oemBiology
wrote...
9 years ago
I would like to know on how Grey matter and White matter effect human behavior on resisting an impulse.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions :>
Read 903 times
7 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
9 years ago
Ask another question, I may be able to help!
oemBiology Author
wrote...
9 years ago
After watching this video, it does not tell how grey matter and white matter effect resistance on impulse, so if I want to increase strength on resisting impulse, do you have any suggestions on whether grey matter or white matter should be increase / decrease within the brain?

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you very much for any suggestions :>
wrote...
Staff Member
9 years ago
White matter is myelinated. This means it has a myelin sheath surrounded the neurone make up of Schwann cells with spaces between called nodes of Ranvier. At the nodes there is no myelin sheath.
The myelin sheath is an electrical insulator so the membrane on the neurone where it is myelinated can't be depolarised.
This increases the speed of conduction as Na+ (sodium ions), which depolarise the membrane and transmit the action potential, 'jump' from node to node by saltatory conduction. What actually happens here is that Na+ diffuse into the neurone, through the membrane at the nodes and then diffuse sideways inside the neurone to the next node. This increase in potential causes Na+ voltage gated channels in the neurone membrane to open, allowing more Na+ to diffuse in, which diffuse sideways to the next node etc. etc. The diffusion between nodes is much faster than depolarising the membrane all the way along and so the the increased length of the local circuit causes the action impulse to be conducted more quickly.

Axons with a myelin sheath can transmit nerve impulses around a 100 metres a second, whilst nonmyelinated neurones can only transmit at a speed of 0.5 metres a second - that's why it's more involved in impulse.

Hope this helps.

Wait, are you talking about impulsive behaviour?
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
oemBiology Author
wrote...
9 years ago Edited: 9 years ago, oem7110
Wait, are you talking about impulsive behaviour?

During meditation, there are many thought coming into my mind, some thought would trigger action, because it is automated response, I try to train on impulse control by not reacting to this impulse, and increasing my strength on impulse control and would like to know whether grey or white matter plays an important role here or not. 
If the amount of grey or white matter increase/decrease, what would it be strength the control on impulse signals within the brain?

Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you very much for any suggestions :>
wrote...
Staff Member
9 years ago
During meditation, there are many thought coming into my mind, some thought would trigger action, because it is automated response, I try to train on impulse control by not reacting to this impulse, and increasing my strength on impulse control and would like to know whether grey or white matter plays an important role here or not. 
If the amount of grey or white matter increase/decrease, what would it be strength the control on impulse signals within the brain?

So your question is, would a very disciplined thinker have more grey matter or white. It's impossible to tell. People train their brain differently to not react or be impulsive in different scenarios. If I don't get nervous on tests, it doesn't necessarily mean the ratio grey matter to white matter is different in my brain compared to someone who does get nervous.
- Bachelor of Science
oemBiology Author
wrote...
9 years ago
I would like to know which matter is converting impulsing thought into muscle for action and which matter is controlling impulse thought and strengthening both long and short term memory.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks, to everyone very much for any suggestions :>

wrote...
Staff Member
9 years ago
White matter is a component of the central nervous system composed of nerve fibers and supporting nerve cells (glial cells). It transmits nerve signals.

Supporting ideas:

Examining the white matter enlargement in greater detail, Dr. Herbert discovered that not all white matter is expanded to the same degree. The increase is greatest in the white matter that transmits information between brain regions that are close to each other and on the same side of the brain. In contrast to these local projections, the volume of long-distance white matter projections (which transmit information between regions far from each other or those on opposite sides of the brain) remains relatively unchanged. Even more intriguingly, the increase in locally-projecting white matter is not seen equally throughout the brain. The volume change is biggest in the front of the brain, which is the part of the brain most interconnected with all other brain regions. This area is responsible for integrating information from many other brain regions and is where the most abstract ("higher-order") brain functioning is believed to take place. This white matter area also develops later than many others and doesn't reach maturity until the second year of life, if not later. In the future, this may provide scientists with an important time window for targeting therapies that would protect against the abnormal white matter development.
- Bachelor of Science
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1243 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 274