r
d
l
a
markenkenmakenk markenkenmakenk
wrote...
Rep: 3 0
6 years ago
Skim Milk- Starts off grey and turns pink. (peptides)
Gelatin- Starts off white and turns purple.(proteins)
Glucose- Starts off white and turns dark blue.
Egg Albumin- Starts off a light yellow and turns purple.(proteins)
Distilled Water- Starts off light blue and turns dark blue.(One of the controlled variables, and I think glucose is as well.)

What is the

Manipulated Variable
Responding Variable
Controlled Variables

and why?
Read 1214 times
4 Replies
-Ken

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
6 years ago
Distilled Water- Starts off light blue and turns dark blue.(One of the controlled variables, and I think glucose is as well.)

Yes, distilled water is the control variable. This determines if the solution is tainted because if it reacts to water, than it's not doing what it should do, which is to change color on contact with proteins. The control variable is the thing that you will keep the same in your experiment.

The responding variable is the dependent variable (y-axis). This is the variable that changes as a result of the changes in the manipulated variable (independent variable, x-axis).

Can you post the whole question because I can't see how I can answer what's the dependent and independent. From my understanding, the color change depends on the intensity of the protein within the chemical being tested. It's not making much sense to me.
wrote...
6 years ago
-Ken
wrote...
Educator
6 years ago
That helps a little. Notice the glucose and distilled water are the same after the Biuret was added. This suggests that they are the control variables. Neither of these solutions contain protein, so there will not be a conclusive outcome that they contain protein.

Manipulated Variable: Amount of protein.
Responding Variable: Color change. The more purple it gets, the more peptide bonds exist, so the more protein there is.

This is the extent of what I know

Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
wrote...
6 years ago
Could someone explain why the biuret turned purple for the sugars? Is that supposed to happen?

According to my research, a violet color indicates the presence of proteins. Proteins give a strong Biuret reaction because they contain a large number of peptide bonds. The blue reagent changes to pink when combined with short-chain polypeptides which contain smaller numbers of peptide bonds.

That being said, shouldn't it have not turned purple for the glucose and water?

I've also researched that water plus Biuret's reagent is a negative control for the protein test. It demonstrates a negative test result (no protein present).

Egg albumin plus Biuret's reagent is a positive control for the protein test. It demonstrates a positive test result (protein is present).

Left to right: Biuret's reagent (BrR), water + BrR, egg albumin solution, egg albumin solution+ BrR.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1069 People Browsing
 114 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 741

Previous poll results: Where do you get your textbooks?